Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Settling in

Thank You Pat Fowles. Could I ask if it gives the specific cemetery, or does it just say Liverpool. If i can find the cemetery I have family in Liverpool and they can visit the site to see if there is a headstone.

Thank you

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by waynea View Post
    Thank You Pat Fowles. Could I ask if it gives the specific cemetery, or does it just say Liverpool. If i can find the cemetery I have family in Liverpool and they can visit the site to see if there is a headstone.

Thank you
    The image is def from Liverpool Cemetery. Lucy was buried with Peter Burns age 74yrs who also died in the Workhouse. Google says 'Anfield Cemetery or City of Liverpool Cemetery' but I've looked on findagrave and it isn't on there. The image is on Ancestry under Lucy CARSFORTH.
    I don't think there will be a headstone because I'm fairly certain you can't put one on a Public Grave. But your relatives will be able to find the plot.
    Last edited by pat fowles; 20-09-2021 at 7:51 AM. Reason: More info

Forgot to add this (it's been a long day). Blackburn with Darwin Borough Council/ Blackburn Cemetery/ Grave Ref Z/E/2362
    Henry Carysforth buried 16 July 1926
    Laura " " 22 November 1945
    Harry S Grafton " 16 September 1949 (FreeBMD Age 0)
    Info from deceased online.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    For info, Lucy was Roman Catholic & Henry was Church of England and a wood carver. The address was 26 Copperas Hill.
    This would have been rather unusual at the time, as Liverpool was a sectarian city, with separate Catholic & Protestant areas and tensions between the two.

I agree with Jomot1 about the sectarianism in Liverpool. The fact that Lucy was Catholic and Henry C of E, or Protestant did bring me to the thought (and I'm not being rude or dismissive of the family stories Wayne) that it is more than likely that Lucy and Henry weren't married. The story about Lucy' father putting up a dowry for her to marry a non Catholic seems highly unlikely.
    Any thoughts anyone?

Settling in

I agree Pat Fowles. The evidence that has been proven so far, does call into question "the family story". The only part of the relationship between Henry and Lucy which could describe the theory as to their marriage is that they could of been married in France. There has been a very good and descriptive post on this topic made earlier but I admit it still has not been addressed by me as yet, which is trying to find a marriage cert in France. Family story says Paris but as people have pointed out and it has been proven that the family story is not proof.

Hopefully the marriage cert for Henry and Laura will give everyone more to work on ie his Father's name.
    I'm intrigued by the surname Carysforth. Wonder where it came from! It doesn't seem like a name you'd just pick/make up if you wanted to 'fly under the radar'.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    Hopefully the marriage cert for Henry and Laura will give everyone more to work on ie his Father's name.
    I'm intrigued by the surname Carysforth. Wonder where it came from! It doesn't seem like a name you'd just pick/make up if you wanted to 'fly under the radar'.
    Robert Carysforth (Bobby). Laura & Henry Carysforth child.Spent years researching the tree (pre internet). I have tried in the past and am again trying to gain this information from his descendants. I am told (again passed down) that the family is Irish. With links to America and migration there but obviously I have learned my lesson over these family stories and will wait to see if the trail can be proved.

The name Carysforth/Carysfort/Carysford/Careysford/Caryesford/Carsford shows up in Irish records and not always connected to The Earl of Carysfort of County Wicklow.
    There is a Richard Careysford born 1829 in the workhouse in Dublin in 1876.
    There is also a Sarah Carysford age 30 with her 5 children also in the same establishment in 1872. There is only one male and he is age 2 and the only name which appears to be abbreviated and I can't make it out.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    The name Carysforth/Carysfort/Carysford/Careysford/Caryesford/Carsford shows up in Irish records and not always connected to The Earl of Carysfort of County Wicklow.
    There is a Richard Careysford born 1829 in the workhouse in Dublin in 1876.
    There is also a Sarah Carysford age 30 with her 5 children also in the same establishment in 1872. There is only one male and he is age 2 and the only name which appears to be abbreviated and I can't make it out.
    Christina

Hi Everyone. Just thought id drop a post to let you know i am still awaiting the arrival of the marriage cert for H Carysforth and L Shatwell.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast