Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Meta Lucy's birth was registered in the surname Carysforth
    June 1/4 1895
    Registration District - Liverpool
    Vol 8b Page 108

She was also baptised Liverpool, England, Church of England Baptisms, 1813-1919 on June 4th 1895 (birth date May 16 1895)Parents Henry Carysforth a wood carver and Lucy his wife. So the official records have her surname as Carysforth never as Jeannot.
    I don't have access to the workhouse records. When was Lucy admitted and when did she die? Workhouses also had hospitals attached to them so was she in the hospital section because of complications with the pregnancy? Is Henry named as her husband?
    The above questions won't help in finding Lucy's origins but will make her story more factual when researching her life.
    Christina
    Thank you Christina

I have never been able to find out when and why she was in the work house but I know she died of complications in child birth 1 to 3 days after my Grandma was born.

Even though this is nothing to do with the inquiry i thought i would share some more personal experiences with my Grandma Meta Lucy (Sissy to her friends). I wasn't aware she was called Meta Lucy until a year before she died. I always called her Grandma or Sissy as everybody called her Sissy. She told me 1 day that if I was going to call her by name (and not Grandma) that i should have the common decency to use her correct name. It was then she told me it was Meta Lucy. I did question why she had a "foreign sounding name" and i was told to not ask personal questions. She Married my Grandad in the early 1930s. He left just before my father was born. She had joined the spiritualist church at some time and seemed to be visited by a lot of well to do people. She was forced (in her words) to return back to CofE as they refused to baptise my Father otherwise. She brought up a son as a single parent through the war (Dad was born in 1933 Died 2019)She was a tough woman in every sense of the word. She loomed huge in my memory and she died when i was 15. I was never aware (due to her gargantuan status in my eyes) that she was 5ft tall and its only over the past 5 years I have become aware of everything I owe her for facing the uphill struggle she seems to have had through her whole life. Its a tad humbling, to sit here in Australia, 40 years after i last said "cya Grandma" and am only now trying to find the facts of her life.

Sorry for the life story but thank you all so much for helping

Valued member of Brit-Gen

I wouldn't jump to too many conclusions re your Gt Grandmother and her family. It was common for people to be admitted to a Workhouse Infirmary if they were sick/infirm. But it doesn't necessarily mean they were Workhouse inmates. It was also common for men to remarry fairly soon after becoming widowed.
    There doesn't seem to be any evidence of Henry Carysforth being a cad either.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    unless I'm completely wrong the Carysforth who was a wood carver, and had an antiques business in Blackburn is Henry Carysforth, Lucy's husband, who we are saying was born in Chicago c. 1865.

A 1928 newspaper article mentions the Blackburn bishop's chair and says Henry was commissioned "by many famous men" to do wood carvings. Lord Derby commissioned a piece for Manchester Cathedral. The article cryptically says Henry "came from abroad".

Blackburn Cathedral was a parish church built in 1826 (replacing an earlier building) and was elevated to cathedral status in 1926.
    Thank you for the reply

Yes, whilst i still lived in the UK, I found the address on King William Street in Blackburn. There was a bit of an enigma regarding the chair though which is very hard to fathom from Australia. As I mentioned earlier, It is still in the vaults of the cathedral and i was taken down there by the Cannon. I also saw a photo containing the chair in the Parish church before it became a cathedral. There is a very ornate chair there now but the one Henry Carysforth built is quite plain and built from second hand wood. I may contact the cathedral and ask them if there is a date on the chair (I forgot to look). The original story we were told was that he built the Bishops chair for the opening of the Cathedral but the Photograph I saw containing the said chair was from early 1900s.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by waynea View Post
    Thank you Christina

I have never been able to find out when and why she was in the work house but I know she died of complications in child birth 1 to 3 days after my Grandma was born.
    She was admitted 29 May 1895 and died the next day. She was on the surgical wing.

For info, Lucy was Roman Catholic & Henry was Church of England and a wood carver. The address was 26 Copperas Hill.

Again, just for info, in the Liverpool Mercury 11 March 1895: “Translations from and into modern languages carefully made. Apply to H Carrysforth, 9 Queen Annest" [Queen Anne St]

Liverpool Mercury 13 May 1897: “Wanted to buy, second hand furniture, any amount, distance no object. H Carysforth, 27 Mill Street, Liverpool".

PS You still haven't answered where you got Lucy's middle name of Ernesterie from.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I note that Henry Carysforth born c1865 gives his place of birth in the 1901 census the United States and in 1911 as Chicago United States. I wonder if it is possible that he and Lucy Ernesterie Jeannot could have met in the US or Canada and travelled to the UK together, There is no marriage for them on FreeBMD in England or Wales and Henry remarried to Laura Frances Shatwell in the Sept 1/4 1895 reg dist Liverpool.
    I am just recording this information so others know the background.
    Christina
    Sorry I forgot to post.

This entry was made the other day which Mentioned the Ernesterie name.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    I wouldn't jump to too many conclusions re your Gt Grandmother and her family. It was common for people to be admitted to a Workhouse Infirmary if they were sick/infirm. But it doesn't necessarily mean they were Workhouse inmates. It was also common for men to remarry fairly soon after becoming widowed.
    There doesn't seem to be any evidence of Henry Carysforth being a cad either.
    You may be correct Pat Fowles.

I have been reading material regarding the workhouse and admit i was unaware that not everybody was an "inmate". That of course she attended due to infirmity may very well be true.

Of course, any way of finding out is sadly now gone as my father passed away in 2019 and he was the last direct link to Meta Lucy Carysforth. Though, I would hazard a guess that she didn't talk about her past even to her son.

Settling in

I have just found an entry on Ancestry referring to Lucy CARYSFOURTH (already mentioned). Stating Spouse Henry Carysforth
    Father given name surname
    Mother given name surname
    Children given name
    Birth 1869 city, London, England
    Residence date city, Lancashire, England

Waynea - christanel was only quoting back the name you gave in your very first post on this thread, ie:
    I am looking for information on my Great Grand Mother Lucy Ernesterie Jeannot born around 1867. I think it was in Paris France.
    So again, why do you believe that her middle name was Ernesterie? Have you just copied it from other unsourced trees? If so, we need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by waynea View Post
    I have just found an entry on Ancestry referring to Lucy CARYSFOURTH (already mentioned). Stating Spouse Henry Carysforth
    Father given name surname
    Mother given name surname
    Children given name
    Birth 1869 city, London, England
    Residence date city, Lancashire, England
    That is taken from a tree that is riddled with errors. They have Lucy as still being alive in 1901 & 1911, when in fact it's Laura, so they've added Laura's PoB to Lucy's name. They've also decided that Lucy's parents are Thomas George Shatwell & Mary Berry.

Settling in

Thankyou Jomot1

My apologies if i seem slow but new to the Ancestry searching. Now i have the time to spend on it.

I only added the Ernesterie name originally because of the post. It does show up in that very same tree in the Finch family tree but i have no proof fact based document to ascertain its validity.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast