Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I see that Lucy's surname is given as Carsfourth in the Death index and the Liverpool workhouse registers.
    Do have the death certificate and the workhouse registers?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

In post #1 you have year of birth as c. 1867 and place of birth as Paris.
    The Paris birth (naissance) indices (tables decennales 1860-1872)) for the period you are interested are on line. But they cannot be searched by simply keying a name in a search field. The indices comprise 20 tables (the 20 Paris arrondissements). Each table is in alphabetical order by surname. It requires accessing each table and finding the beginning of the surname J and checking thru' for "Jannot" and "Jeannot" or similar.
    If you get a "hit" in the indices, armed with that information you can find the birth certificate on line very easily.
    If you are interested let me know and I will provide details on how to search. Or I can just post the URL. Note - no guarantee you'll get a result ploughing thru' the 20 tables by arrondissement.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by waynea View Post
    I am looking for information on my Great Grand Mother Lucy Ernesterie Jeannot born around 1867.
    Where has this middle name come from please? On her death, Meta's baptism and the workhouse records she is just Lucy.

Looking at one of the workhouse records, her settlement is what looks like FI. I've scrolled a few pages either side and can't see any others with those letters, but noticed a few EI, and also one with East India written in full.

Pure speculation now, but could FI be French Indies? Mr Google tells me the collective name for this area is Guadeloupe, and searching the free index on Filae brings up a few possibilities, including a Lucie Eglerisse Jeannot baptised in Guadeloupe (year not shown, and I don't have a sub). There are also variations on the surname, such as Genot, Genet, Genoit, Geanot.

on the 1901 census mentioned previously 2-year-old Tom Carysforth born Chorlton, Manchester is in the GRO birth index with mother's maiden name Chapman (as opposed to Shatwell) though I am not finding a Carysforth/Chapman marriage.

Not that this is relevant to the enquiry!

The remaining children on the 1911 census have mmn Shatwell

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Thank you for finding the previous thread pat fowles.
    Here is the link https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...ighlight=genot
    After reading through it I think the last few posts on the second page are the only ones we need and it looks as if they were made by you waynea under the user name 'erco'?
    Christina
    Thank you all
    Yes i did make some inquiries some years ago. This was put on hold as I was working away for a number of years. The "French Connection" I metioned is only what has been passed down in the family. As with everyone on this site I sorely wished i had asked Meta Lucy (my Grandma) when i was younger but I do remember her being very reticent about talking about her family. My father did say that it was not a happy childhood. Akin to Cinderella stories.

I do know that 1 of the Carysforths in the 1860s (approx) was a carpenter and had a shop on King William Street Blackburn. He carved a bishops chair (before the Cathedral was built). This is still in the Cathedral vaults with his name on it. I went to see it last time i visited the UK.

Settling in

In addition

I have tried to follow the Carysforth side back but my link to them stopped when Henry married again (Shatwell). Thanks to the helpful people here i think i have fairly well coloured in the lineage from my Grandmothers Father. The big blank spot comes from the Mothers side. Because (I hope) this comes from France its a bit of an enigma on how to proceed.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    on the 1901 census mentioned previously 2-year-old Tom Carysforth born Chorlton, Manchester is in the GRO birth index with mother's maiden name Chapman (as opposed to Shatwell) though I am not finding a Carysforth/Chapman marriage.

Not that this is relevant to the enquiry!

The remaining children on the 1911 census have mmn Shatwell
    I do remember my Father talking about uncles Tom, Dick and Harry

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Where has this middle name come from please? On her death, Meta's baptism and the workhouse records she is just Lucy.

Looking at one of the workhouse records, her settlement is what looks like FI. I've scrolled a few pages either side and can't see any others with those letters, but noticed a few EI, and also one with East India written in full.

Pure speculation now, but could FI be French Indies? Mr Google tells me the collective name for this area is Guadeloupe, and searching the free index on Filae brings up a few possibilities, including a Lucie Eglerisse Jeannot baptised in Guadeloupe (year not shown, and I don't have a sub). There are also variations on the surname, such as Genot, Genet, Genoit, Geanot.
    As far as I am aware Lucy Jeannot (my Great Grandmother) Named my Grandmother Meta Lucy. I would think Meta Lucy was originally a Jeannot also but it was changed to Carysforth when her father took her in. Why was Lucy Jeannot living in the workhouse in Liverpool and why she used her maiden name is unknown. It is doubtful that Henry Carysforth was unduly upset as he remarried just a few months later.

As far as I am aware Lucy Jeannot (my Great Grandmother) Named my Grandmother Meta Lucy. I would think Meta Lucy was originally a Jeannot also but it was changed to Carysforth when her father took her in. Why was Lucy Jeannot living in the workhouse in Liverpool and why she used her maiden name is unknown. It is doubtful that Henry Carysforth was unduly upset as he remarried just a few months later.
    Meta Lucy's birth was registered in the surname Carysforth
    June 1/4 1895
    Registration District - Liverpool
    Vol 8b Page 108

She was also baptised Liverpool, England, Church of England Baptisms, 1813-1919 on June 4th 1895 (birth date May 16 1895)Parents Henry Carysforth a wood carver and Lucy his wife. So the official records have her surname as Carysforth never as Jeannot.
    I don't have access to the workhouse records. When was Lucy admitted and when did she die? Workhouses also had hospitals attached to them so was she in the hospital section because of complications with the pregnancy? Is Henry named as her husband?
    The above questions won't help in finding Lucy's origins but will make her story more factual when researching her life.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I do know that 1 of the Carysforths in the 1860s (approx) was a carpenter and had a shop on King William Street Blackburn. He carved a bishops chair (before the Cathedral was built). This is still in the Cathedral vaults with his name on it. I went to see it last time i visited the UK.
    unless I'm completely wrong the Carysforth who was a wood carver, and had an antiques business in Blackburn is Henry Carysforth, Lucy's husband, who we are saying was born in Chicago c. 1865.

A 1928 newspaper article mentions the Blackburn bishop's chair and says Henry was commissioned "by many famous men" to do wood carvings. Lord Derby commissioned a piece for Manchester Cathedral. The article cryptically says Henry "came from abroad".

Blackburn Cathedral was a parish church built in 1826 (replacing an earlier building) and was elevated to cathedral status in 1926.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast