Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Bettesworth and Rustell

Trying to find anything to do with the Bettesworth family of Hampshire. Also Emily Elizabeth Rustell birth date and family.

Welcome to the Brit - Gen forums

Is this the people you are looking for (from a public tree on ancestry.co which appears to be very well sourced.

Emily Elizabeth Rustell
    Birth 2 January 1858, West Meon, Hampshire
    Death 21 March 1898, Hayling Island, Havant, Hampshire.

George Bettesworth
    Birth 17 December 1854, Hayling, Hampshire
    Death 12 April 1926, South Hayling, Hampshire.

They married in 1876 and the transcript of the marriage record is on familysearch.org
    Before we go any further will you tell us exactly what information you are looking for? Do you want to go back from this couple with their parents, siblings etc?

Does your local library have the free version of ancestry if so you may be ab le to access it from home using your library card whilst we are in Lockdown.
    If you can't get access then we can certainly look for the information you need.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello suepernz,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

As your post asks a question, I've moved it to the Hampshire county forum.
    anything to do with the Bettesworth family of Hampshire
    is not only quite wide-sweeping but also an impossible (t)ask, so I presume you mean anything to do with the family of George Bettesworth who married Emily Elizabeth Rustell.

George and Emily married in December quarter 1876 in Havant registration district. Do you have a copy of their marriage certificate, and if so what are the names and occupations of the bride and groom's fathers? If you don't have a copy, then you need to obtain one for information about the fathers. For all certificates apply to the GRO
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    Additional details you will need are volume number 2b page number 817.

In 1881, George (26)and Emily (23) are living in South Hayling, with their three children.
    Census reference RG11/1137 folio 17 page 3
    George Bettesworth, 26, agricultural carter, born Hayling
    Emily, wife, 23, Portsmouth
    Fanny E, daur, 4, Emsworth
    Amelia J, daur 3, Gretham (sic, think it should be Greatham)
    Louisa, daur, 1 month, Hayling

By 1891, the family has expanded considerably.
    Census reference RG12/852 folio 29 page 25
    George Bettesworth, 36, gardener, Hayling
    Amelia (sic), 32, Portsmouth
    Fanny, 14,
    Louisa, 10,
    Catherine, 9
    Annie, 7
    James,4
    Edith, 3,
    Albert, 1
    Fanny born Emsworth, all other children born Hayling.

Emily's death registration March quarter 1898, Havant registration district, aged 39.
    In December quarter 1897, Jessie Lilian's birth was registered, mother's maiden name Rustell. Sadly, Jessie's death was registered in the same quarter as her mother's - March 1898.
    There also seems to have been another daughter, Bessie Matilda, birth registered March quarter 1896.
    Ah - found her, in 1901 living with elder sister Fanny Elizabeth, who by now is married to Stephen Frost and living in Warblington. Census reference RG12/977 folio 100 page 35

George marries Lizzie Bills, March quarter 1899, Havant registration district.

1901 census
    Census reference RG13/ folio page
    George Bettesworth, 45, gardener, Hayling
    Lizzie, wife, 31, Kings Cross, London
    James, 14,
    Albert, 11,
    Florence, 9,
    Winnie, 6,
    Sidney, 1,
    All children born Hayling.

Winnie's birth was registered as Emily Winifred.
    Sidney is the son of George and Lizzie.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Re Bettesworth/Rustell query

Sorry this was my first post. George Bettesworth was my grandfather as my father was the eight child of George and his second wife Lizzie. I have details of George's family going back several generations but most of the families were very big so there are several branches going out from my main research.

George and Emily Elizabeth Rustell had 15 children while with Lizzie he had another 9. My father and his twin brother David were the 7th and 8th.

It's Emily that causes the problem. We have the marriage certificate and Emily's death certificate but the only possible data we can find for her birth was an Emma born 1858 or 1859 in Portsea. Emma was the youngest child of George Rustell and his wife Eliza (nee Hopkins) There were several other children but we don't know if this is the right one due to the difference in names. An Emily born in East Meon married someone else so she's not the correct one. George Rustell was born at sea in I think 1818 but was baptised in England in 1821, his father was James Rustell.

Fanny's (George and Emily's daughter) marriage to Stephen Frost didn't last long. He died when she was expecting her first child and she remarried.

Thanks for your help and I apologise for the vague heading to my first post.

Sue Perkins

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hello suepernz,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

As your post asks a question, I've moved it to the Hampshire county forum.

is not only quite wide-sweeping but also an impossible (t)ask, so I presume you mean anything to do with the family of George Bettesworth who married Emily Elizabeth Rustell.

George and Emily married in December quarter 1876 in Havant registration district. Do you have a copy of their marriage certificate, and if so what are the names and occupations of the bride and groom's fathers? If you don't have a copy, then you need to obtain one for information about the fathers. For all certificates apply to the GRO
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    Additional details you will need are volume number 2b page number 817.

In 1881, George (26)and Emily (23) are living in South Hayling, with their three children.
    Census reference RG11/1137 folio 17 page 3
    George Bettesworth, 26, agricultural carter, born Hayling
    Emily, wife, 23, Portsmouth
    Fanny E, daur, 4, Emsworth
    Amelia J, daur 3, Gretham (sic, think it should be Greatham)
    Louisa, daur, 1 month, Hayling

By 1891, the family has expanded considerably.
    Census reference RG12/852 folio 29 page 25
    George Bettesworth, 36, gardener, Hayling
    Amelia (sic), 32, Portsmouth
    Fanny, 14,
    Louisa, 10,
    Catherine, 9
    Annie, 7
    James,4
    Edith, 3,
    Albert, 1
    Fanny born Emsworth, all other children born Hayling.

Emily's death registration March quarter 1898, Havant registration district, aged 39.
    In December quarter 1897, Jessie Lilian's birth was registered, mother's maiden name Rustell. Sadly, Jessie's death was registered in the same quarter as her mother's - March 1898.
    There also seems to have been another daughter, Bessie Matilda, birth registered March quarter 1896.
    Ah - found her, in 1901 living with elder sister Fanny Elizabeth, who by now is married to Stephen Frost and living in Warblington. Census reference RG12/977 folio 100 page 35

George marries Lizzie Bills, March quarter 1899, Havant registration district.

1901 census
    Census reference RG13/ folio page
    George Bettesworth, 45, gardener, Hayling
    Lizzie, wife, 31, Kings Cross, London
    James, 14,
    Albert, 11,
    Florence, 9,
    Winnie, 6,
    Sidney, 1,
    All children born Hayling.

Winnie's birth was registered as Emily Winifred.
    Sidney is the son of George and Lizzie.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for your reply. The Emily Elizabeth Rustell born in West Meon married someone else and this entry was put onto Ancestry by a relative in England who wasn't sure of the correctness when he put it up.
    Yes my local library has a free version of Ancestry and I can access it from home. I also use FindMyPast. I'm looking mainly for Emily Elizabeth Rustell's birth and family back from her. I may have narrowed it down to Emma Rustell born in Portsea in 1858 to George Rustell and Eliza (nee Hopkins). Why was she called Emma and what happened to the Elizabeth bit? The family moved to Hayling Island when Emma was little then back to Portsea after Emily (or Emma if it is her) married George Bettesworth.
    Thanks once again for your help.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

As you have the marriage certificate for George and EMily, please answer the question I asked in post #3.
    what are the names and occupations of the bride and groom's fathers?
    I don't think these details will add anything further to our search, but just in case, can you also please add the abode of the bride and groom when they married, plus the name and place of where they married.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

They married on 21 October 1876 at the Registry Office, Havant in the county of Southampton (now Hampshire). He was living in Emsworth while she was living in Havant (probably Hayling Island area). He was 22years old she was 19 years. I believe they got married in a Registry Office as Fanny their daughter was born in December 1876.
    George is down as a carter, his father William Bettesworth was a labourer.
    Emily's (no occupation) father was George Rustell who was also a labourer.

Thanks for going to so much trouble for me.

Sue

Super Moderator

George Rustell was born at sea in I think 1818 but was baptised in England in 1821, his father was James Rustell.

Why do you think George was born at sea? There is an index for a birth of George Rustell 30 June 1817, baptised 22 Aug 1824 in Hambleton, Hampshire. Parents James and Elizabeth. Looks like James was born about 1789 and married Elizabeth Parr in Hampshire in 1810, James was a labourer. James and Elizabeth appear on the 1841 census (transcribed as Rustale). Might not be anything to do with your George.

Super Moderator

I have found the census returns for George Rustell and Eliza Hopkins. In 1861 they had the following children with them:

Ann born abt 1845
    George registered Fareham 1845
    Ellen born abt 1847
    Jane registered Fareham 1849
    Amelia registered Fareham 1851
    James registered Portsea 1855
    Thomas born abt 1857
    Emma born abt 1860

Those that have been registered have MMN as Hopkins

On the 1871

George & Eliza are with
    Melia age 19 (Presume Amelia)
    James age 16
    Thomas age 14
    Emma age 12

No Emily Elizabeth, but this could be Emma. Cannot find a birth registration for either!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default George Rustell birth

In the Hampshire Baptisms it has George Rustell born at sea see below. Although it also says bp on 14th Sep 1817 at Corfu, it also says he was baptised again in 1824 in Hambledon. Father James and Elizabeth. George and Eliza's marriage details state his father as James a labourer.

bn 30 Jun 1817 at sea, bp 14 Sep 1817 at Corfu

George also seems to change his place of birth with each census but always overseas and is in the British Armed Forces records as being born overseas.

I have yet to prove this but it seems the most likely due to the birth date of Emily Elizabeth and Emma. I'm going to try and find the details I need to send off for her birth certificate. It has been suggested that Emma and her sister Amelia swapped dates of birth etc. but I'm not banking on this.

Thanks for your help

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    George Rustell was born at sea in I think 1818 but was baptised in England in 1821, his father was James Rustell.

Why do you think George was born at sea? There is an index for a birth of George Rustell 30 June 1817, baptised 22 Aug 1824 in Hambleton, Hampshire. Parents James and Elizabeth. Looks like James was born about 1789 and married Elizabeth Parr in Hampshire in 1810, James was a labourer. James and Elizabeth appear on the 1841 census (transcribed as Rustale). Might not be anything to do with your George.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast