Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by suepernz View Post
    In the Hampshire Baptisms it has George Rustell born at sea see below. Although it also says bp on 14th Sep 1817 at Corfu, it also says he was baptised again in 1824 in Hambledon. Father James and Elizabeth. George and Eliza's marriage details state his father as James a labourer.

bn 30 Jun 1817 at sea, bp 14 Sep 1817 at Corfu

George also seems to change his place of birth with each census but always overseas and is in the British Armed Forces records as being born overseas.

I have yet to prove this but it seems the most likely due to the birth date of Emily Elizabeth and Emma. I'm going to try and find the details I need to send off for her birth certificate. It has been suggested that Emma and her sister Amelia swapped dates of birth etc. but I'm not banking on this.

Thanks for your help

Sue

So have you found James as being in the British Armed Forces for George to have been born overseas?

My dad's name was Fred, his sister was Freda. Their dates of birth were always being muddled up even though Freda was 7 years older than dad!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Sorry for delay in replying. I haven't found James actually in the armed forces, but there is so much to research. However he and Elizabeth (his wife and definitely George's parents) were in the 1861 census and for occupation they have Pensioner Army, so he was obviously in the army. Plus George's birth details, plus both his baptism details (Corfu and Hambledon) are on record so I guess this makes that part correct, it's mainly Emily Elizabeth - is she Emma? If so why did she change her name? Still can't find her birth record, only her baptism record. Thanks for your suggestion.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Have now found James in the army records. He was in the 32nd Foot soldiers. He married Elizabeth Parr, a widow and I believe her maiden name was Smith. Her first husband was also in the army. She married him in 1804 and he died in 1808, not sure what happened, haven't got that far yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12