Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Can't find WWII service records

Hello

I'm looking for records of my grandfather's service during WWII but unfortunatley I don't have a service number, so I can't get information from the MOD. The thing that seems strange to me (I've done lots of research on my family and can normally find records)is that I can't find ANY records of his service. I can find his fathers, uncles and brothers, but not his.

What I know from my Mum is that he was in the Gloucesters and left for war in 1941 and that at some point he was captured by the Japanese. He was away for around 4 years and on return spent time in a institution because of how physically and mentally unwell he was. He was only 21 when he left and was never the same again. My Mum also tells me he spoke Indian, too, which we have assumed is because of being a POW alongside Indian soldiers. Apparently he had the Burma Star as my Mum can remember seeing it as a child but there is nothing with the BSA.

I tried the Red Cross but they couldn't find anything and all other searches on relevant sites have not come to anything, so I'm stuck. Can anyone suggest where I can go from here? I live in New Zealand now, so can't visit any locations in person.

Here's some basic information about him:

George Victor Charles Dalziel B 1920 Bristol.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
    Kathy

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Kathy,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

If you joined us via Forces War Records, this explains the link.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...rs-Please-Read

Service records for personnel who joined after 1922 are still held by the Ministry of Defence. You do not need a service number to apply for them but you do need a date of birth, copy of the death certificate, and a cheque for thirty pounds sterling. Plus, at the moment, a whole lot of patience, as due to Covid working restrictions there is currently a waiting list of at least eighteen months. More details, along with links to the forms you need to complete are here.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...757#post585757

The MoD are apparently in the process of transferring some service records to The National Archives at Kew but no further news about the how and when are available. That still won't help you living in NZ, as you will still need help, either through a researcher or TNA staff photo-copying the records.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a short article about him in the Western Daily Press 07 Feb 1947, but no mention of him having been a PoW. He had been an apprentice upholsterer but was sacked due to poor timekeeping (only worked about 2/3rds of normal hours) and poor quality of work.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Are you able to provide me with the source of the article so I can read it? Many thanks

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks jomot1 - I've now found that information, which is really informative. He was very unwell on his return, so it's no surprise that he found it hard to hold down a job. Thanks again.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Pam - I'll try the MOD

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by KayEm-NZ View Post
    Thanks Pam - I'll try the MOD
    Frankly, Kathy, at the moment, unless you can send an undated cheque (possibly from a family member to whom you can send the money when the cheque is presented for payment) drawn on a UK bank, I wouldn't bother.
    Until the MoD office get back to normal working your request is only going to sit in a mailbag, and if you've had to obtain a sterling cheque via a bank in NZ that may well go out of date, and you will have to go through that procedure all over again. Once the waiting time is down to a few months then will be the time to apply.
    In the meantime, the records you want might be amongst the ones released to The National Archives. All we know is that some records are 'in the process of being transferred'. We have no further information regarding the criteria for those records. e.g. for anyone born before 1 January 1922, anyone who served in WW2, regardless of their date of birth, etc.

I know it's frustrating (I sent for my dad's records at least three months before lockdown began in the UK) but all we can do is be patient.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Appreciate the advice.