Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Continuous service and marrying?

My grandfather, known as Harry, was in the Royal Artillery, #788543. The attestation list says:

788543 DEVLIN Henry 24.11.28 R
    [then further to the right]
    27.11.31 A. R.
    C.D./AA.
    10.1.46 Z Res
    DISHCH AGE LIMIT

I've understood this to mean; he was in the regular army from 1928, discharged to the reserves post-WW2 in Jan 1946, eventually discharged from the reserves in the 50s when he became too old. But the rest... I think CD/AA is Coastal Defence/Anti-aircraft. A.R. could be many things according to various lists.

Can anyone help me with any of these questions please:

Have I read it right and what does the A.R. mean?

He married in 1933 and did not say he was a soldier. There were many secrets in his life and stretches of the truth. I could believe he was marrying without permission from the army (I presume he needed it) but could he have become a reserve in 1931 then returned to the army by 1936 (when I know he was a soldier at Yeovil camp)? Would he have been allocated the same number if so??

If it helps, in 1942 a birth certificate says he was a Motor Mechanic in the Royal Artillery.

Any help, appreciated. Jackie

Famous for offering help & advice

Soldiers generally signed up for X years with the Colours (regular service) and Y years with the Reserves, generally a total of 12 years. If he did 3 years regular service then it would have been 9 years in the reserves.

My reading of the record is therefore that his 1931 discharge (AR) was to the Army Reserve for a further 9 years, meaning he will have been re-called to service at the outbreak of WW2, then discharged to Class Z Reserves in 1946 following the end of that war. Class Z Reserves were a category of men who had served during a period of war - in this case 3 Sep 1939 and 31 Dec 1948 - who were still liable to be recalled if they were under 45.

ADDED: As a reservist he would have had to go to annual camp, so this could be where Yeovil fits in?

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    ADDED: As a reservist he would have had to go to annual camp, so this could be where Yeovil fits in?
    Many thanks for this reply Jomot1, so many things have fallen into place with the this info, the last sentence in particular. On annual camp, presumably they would have worn uniform? Do you know where they would do their annual camp? Would it have been been related to where they live, ie close by? I'm buzzing, re-thinking bits of the story in this light. Thanks again.

Famous for offering help & advice

Yes, they would be in uniform, and no, camp wasn't necessarily close to where they lived.

I'm not an expert on the Royal Artillery, but I believe that Yeovil was a Royal Artillery Training camp.

One last question if I may... how long would annual camps have been, a few weeks??

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

My dad was in the Territorial Army after WW2 and went to camp every year. I know he was away for at least a week; it may have been two, but no longer.
    My memory is a little hazy, so I can't remember if he went to the same place each year - though I have a feeling he did - but I know that one year he went to Millom in Cumberland and we lived in Lincolnshire.
    I can confirm that they did wear uniform while at camp - I have a photograph to prove it.

I picked up on the 1931 date being three years after your grandfather's enrolment date and thought there might be a connection. I wonder if the A.R. in this instance means Army Reserves?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JackieDawson160 View Post
    My grandfather, known as Harry, was in the Royal Artillery, #788543. The attestation list says:

788543 DEVLIN Henry 24.11.28 R
    [then further to the right]
    27.11.31 A. R.
    C.D./AA.
    10.1.46 Z Res
    DISHCH AGE LIMIT

I've understood this to mean; he was in the regular army from 1928, discharged to the reserves post-WW2 in Jan 1946, eventually discharged from the reserves in the 50s when he became too old. But the rest... I think CD/AA is Coastal Defence/Anti-aircraft. A.R. could be many things according to various lists.

Can anyone help me with any of these questions please:

Have I read it right and what does the A.R. mean?

He married in 1933 and did not say he was a soldier. There were many secrets in his life and stretches of the truth. I could believe he was marrying without permission from the army (I presume he needed it) but could he have become a reserve in 1931 then returned to the army by 1936 (when I know he was a soldier at Yeovil camp)? Would he have been allocated the same number if so??

If it helps, in 1942 a birth certificate says he was a Motor Mechanic in the Royal Artillery.

Any help, appreciated. Jackie

What was the name of his wife and did he marry in England? I cannot see any registration for a Harry/Harold Devlin marrying in 1933

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    What was the name of his wife and did he marry in England?
    He married in England and I have the certificate.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JackieDawson160 View Post
    He married in England and I have the certificate.
    I wondered if he may appear on the 1939 register. I know he was in the forces but you never know, even if he isn't there, he wife should be somewhere.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    I wondered if he may appear on the 1939 register. I know he was in the forces but you never know, even if he isn't there, he wife should be somewhere.
    Found his wife with two children in Minehead. I was looking for Harry and now realise he name was Henry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast