Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Early Military History

Hi. I know that I'm clutching at straws but......

I'm looking for information on early army records.
    I have an ancestor, Nathaniel Messenger, who married in the Fleet in 1703 and said that he was 'a common soldier to the Queen's second regiment of Guards'. This would be Queen Anne of course. After some digging the Coldstream Guards say that they were the second regiment and have been very helpful. I've ordered a couple of books that they recommended and am waiting for them to come.

My query is really general. After his marriage 4 children were baptised in St. James, Clerkenwell (London). I know that the regiment were quartered there so did he live at home or did he sneak out at night???

He was still in the 2nd regiment when he remarried (also in the Fleet) in 1723 although I can't find out what happened to his first wife.

The only baptism record I can find for a Nathaniel Messenger at the right time is in Coventry. I realise that there may be no baptism record in existence for him but is it possible that he would have travelled that far to join up?

I can't find a death record for him. If he died in service, for whatever reason, would the only record of his death be the army one?

I'd be very grateful for any general information anyone could provide - I know nothing about the army at this time and don't know where to start looking!
    Many thanks

Linda

Famous for offering help & advice

are those two marriages recorded in his army record ? I was just thinking it could be father and son, rather than the same person ?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for replying. The army records don't exist that far back but his son Nathaniel was born in 1712 so would only have been 11 in 1723. I'm guessing that his wife died, although I have no proof, and he remarried (a widow) to look after the young children.
    Linda

Reputation beyond repute

I'd be very grateful for any general information anyone could provide - I know nothing about the army at this time and don't know where to start looking!
    I'd start here...

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...rs-up-to-1913/

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you, I did look there but the records don't go back far enough.

Super Moderator

I can't find a death record for him. If he died in service, for whatever reason, would the only record of his death be the army one?

There is a Burial date of 26 April 1746 at St. John Horsleydown, Bermondsey, Southwark. (Transcribed as Nathanael). What was his wive's names and the children - were they Richard, Mary, Sarah & John?

Famous for offering help & advice

Have you seen the 1698 will of draper Nathaniel Messenger (Nathlis Messenger on Ancestry) in which he names his children as Henry, Nathaniel & Anne? Wife also Anne. Brother in laws John Benbridge & Daniel Neale(?). Friend Thomas Woodhead.

There is a 1697 Freedom of the City/Apprenticeship paper for Henry Messenger, apprenticed to his father, a draper.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post

There is a Burial date of 26 April 1746 at St. John Horsleydown, Bermondsey, Southwark. (Transcribed as Nathanael). What was his wive's names and the children - were they Richard, Mary, Sarah & John?
    Thank you for this - I'll certainly check it out. I didn't think he would be in Bermondsey. His first wife was Sarah and their children Sarah, John, Nathaniel and Richard and his second wife was Anne and they had another John.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for your suggestion. I don't think that's him but I'll check it out. There was another family of Messenger at Bishopsgate - St Boltoph. I suspect they were related but haven't proved it yet.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Taylor 27 View Post
    Thank you for this - I'll certainly check it out. I didn't think he would be in Bermondsey. His first wife was Sarah and their children Sarah, John, Nathaniel and Richard and his second wife was Anne and they had another John.
    Was his first wife Sarah Wallis (married 26/06.1703) and then Anne Woodman (married 1723)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast