Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Is this a surname?

I'm researching my mother-in-law's female line and got back several generations to William Skyrine Jennings born about 1802. He married Mary Bigglestone on 6th February 1835.

I've tracked down some of their children and checked them via baptism records and the General Register Office. I've looked at other trees on Ancestry but can't identify all the children some of those list. I can't definitely find (on GRO) all the children listed with William and Mary in census.

But, most puzzling is William's middle name of Skyrine. My initial thought is that this is a maiden name from a previous generation. It is consistently transcribed as 'Skyrem' or 'Skyrme' and 'Skyrm' but I can see that is sometimes mis-transcription and sometimes plain old error - maybe. The probate record of 1879 records him as William Skyrme Jennings. I'm waiting for the 1876 death certificate to arrive to see what that says.

So, has anyone ever heard of a surname Skyrine or a middle name?

I haven't yet pinned down a birth but I've seen Hereford quoted. My census research (1861 and 1871) says London and/or Middlesex. William was a HM Customs Official and I rely on that to pin him down in census.

Thank you.

From Family Search.
    William Skryme/Skyrpie Jennings. Born 17 October, baptised 9 November 1802. Marylebone, Middlesex. Parents Thomas and Mary

Famous for offering help & advice

The birth regs for the younger children are on GRO some mistranscribed as Biddlestone.

Family Search has a number of records in the name Skyrine in Herefordshire and adjoining counties.

Reputation beyond repute

Surname Atlas shows concentrations of Skyr*n* in Monmouthshire / Pembrokeshire / Herefordshire and also Middlesex.

Thanks everyone!

Famous for offering help & advice

I used to know a Welshman with the surname Skyme

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Could this be linked to the Scrine line. I have a number in my tree and sometimes found the name spelled as SKRINE or SKRIME, but not found one with a "y".

I think my William Skyrine Jennings and the family seem to have been based in Stroud, Gloucestershire and Hereford which may not be too far from Wales. Skrine and Skrime may be yet another variation and perhaps due to illiteracy, confusion etc. over spellings which were common at the time. Food for thought!

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

It has also been "transcribed" as Screen or Skreen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast