Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by keith9351 View Post
    There is a W.Murray. 1/7 Gordon Highlanders. Died 18 September 1915, age 21.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/fi...40/W%20MURRAY/

Swagger Stick were carried by other Ranks and you see them in a lot of WW1photos.

Keith
    That must be him as the service number matches I apologise for posting a duplicate message, I'm not my usual self, and think it's time to disappear until I'm back to normal
    Alma

Confirmation is valuable!

Famous for offering help & advice

A quick search of the newspapers, using "exact phrases" (from your first post) brings up reports of 2 Gordon Highlanders killed in 1915 but no photo with a swagger stick.
    They are the "sympathy letters" written by the chaplain (Rev. George H Donald) of the Gordons, commanding officer Colonel Bower.
    - LEGGATT, Pte J (1/7th Gordons), mother in Aberdeen (Daily Record, 19 Aug 1915)
    - MARR, Sgt F A (1/5th Gordons) of East Crookstone, Portlethen, (Aberdeen Weekly Journal, 22 Oct 1915 & Aberdeen Evening Express, 21 Oct 1915)

So perhaps a search using other phrases from the cutting may reveal the original?

Jane

That was why I tried the Oddfellows phrase…. #2.
    There must be another local paper, not yet scanned, where it appeared. I was wondering whether the Odfellows have a national newspaper of their own…
    It might be worth an enquiry to the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS. They should know if there’s other papers around.

Folks,
    I am about to read your posts, but have attempted to send my newspaper image.
    I think I have navigated the [easy] upload images tutorial - except, when told to 'go back to the reply box... and in the URL box, right click...'
    Problem: There was no URL box, so pasted the URL in here. Wow...!
    Excuse my ignorance, but I have found, that written 'How To' instructions are invariably easily foiled by those of a particular vintage.
    Nevertheless, I would appreciate either your thoughts on the images on this URL, or indeed further single syllable instructions.
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/sBkZxmY
    Appreciate your help.
    Cheers,
    Ray

Well done Keith, this may be him.
    I am still trying for the full paper clip.
    Try my images here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/sBkZxmY
    Cheers,
    Ray

Thanks Lesley, I think Keith may have located the chap.
    Unfortunately; not knowing what 'CWGC' denoted or indeed what the numbers '2870' were, I would still have stumbled.
    Nevertheless, I think I am moving forward now, but still need to locate the newspaper.
    Cheers,
    Ray

Thanks fullscott.
    Where do I run 'A quick search of the newspapers...' ?
    Cheers,
    Ray

I use the British Newspaper Archive, a subscription service, and did a quick search when this thread started. No luck, but you have to be careful with key words and I was very short of time (can you hear the thunder of approaching deadlines?). There's a lot of newspapers also available on Find My Past. They are also a subscription service but are currently doing a special offer of one month for 9 pounds 99p.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

To the best of my knowledge, the newspapers available on FMP are the same as those on the BNA.

I've searched on FMP using Murray in the surname box and Kirktown in the other search box, for September and October 1915.
    All I've found is a brief notice in the Dundee Courier, 30 September, which was duplicated in the Montrose, Abroath and Brechin Review on 1 October, which said Private William Murray had been killed; he was about 22 years old; a gardener, and that his father worked on the railways.

Nothing in the Aberdeen Weekly Journal, Aberdeen Evening Express, or Aberdeen Press and Journal.

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 25-08-2021 at 8:56 AM. Reason: Amended year date tp 1915, instead of 2015
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast