Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1841 Census (ref HO107, Piece 492, Book 10, Folio 21, Page 36) as transcribed FMP -
    James Mooton, 48, Labourer
    Mary Mooton, 42
    William Mooton, 13
    George Mooton, 10
    Mary Mooton, 7
    Elizabeth Mooton 1
    Address - Mulgrave Place, Woolwich
    All born County (Kent) - the '51 Census shows James born Wiltshire and Mary born Paisley?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

FMP has the service record of a James Wootton, born 1794, Bromham, Wiltshire, attested 18 Jan 1813, Royal Artillery. But, as is often the case with these early records, no details re. family.
    William Thomas Wotton, bap 18 Nov 1827 (born 29 Oct), St Mary Magdalene has a note against his baptismal entry " An affadavit was made on the 26th day of December 1862 before Mr Traill that the name should be Wootten not Wotton".
    Plenty of variation re. this Surname!

The surname on the 13 Feb 1825 marriage, St Mary Magdalene, Woolwich is clearly Watton (James makes his mark).

On December 25th 1825 at St Mary Magdalene a John James Watton is baptised (born 4th December) at St Mary Magdalene, Woolwich, address Jackson's Lane, father James, a Gunner Royal Artillery, mother Mary. In the absence of a post 1 July 1837 birth certificate, this would appear the strongest link between the 5 christenings and the 1825 marriage?

Halechau
    thank you for this 1841 census - Mooton is a name i hadnt tried and as this is the same address as James Watton and family in 1851 i will take it as the same family.

The Bromham link is doubtful as they are still living there in 1861 but all the wooten children that i need are born in Woolwich.

Many thanks for your help

Default Ann Wooten

thanks everyone - im going to assume Ann is absent from the GRO for whatever reason. Typical that she was the youngest of all the children
    I'll try to find another way of confirming Marys maiden name, perhaps through the army records.

Super Moderator

Presume this is the Ann Elizabeth Wootten who married John Bell on 25 December 1858 in Woolwich. Father James Wootten: Pensioner Royal Artillery. At time of marriage Ann Lived in Artillery Place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12