Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No time wasted, Pam. People on a FB group I belong to came through with identifications of a couple of mystery lenses from my museum, so that took care of the evening.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

First page of Owen Macaulay's file.
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...201&cc=2023926

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Wow...Thank you Pam. How did you find that? The following pages in that set re Owen are fantastic. A Jazz band eh. The only musical person in my family so far. Owen died in Paris in 1966.
    Last edited by pat fowles; 17-08-2021 at 4:26 AM. Reason: More info

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    Wow...Thank you Pam. How did you find that? The following pages in that set re Owen are fantastic. A Jazz band eh. The only musical person in my family so far. Owen died in Paris in 1966.
    Once you know the file number, then look on the appropriate film, as per this list.
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...701&cc=2023926

Finding the actual file is a bit of guesswork, but it will save you looking at every single page.
    Look at the number of files covered on a film, compared to the number of images.
    e.g. 100 files and 500 images, which gives an approximate rate of 5 images per file. If you want file number 50, then you will probably find it about halfway through the images, so type number 250 in the number box, and click the enter button on your keyboard. Then click either the forward or back arrow next to the number box to move to an image which has a file number on it. Given how near/far you arre to the file number you want, then either to continue to move forward/back using the keys, or else type in another number which you think will be nearer the image you want.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam.
    Owen Macaulay, born 16 Jun 1893, London, resident Antwerp 3 Sep 25; Swaartstraat 24, 14 Nov 24.
    British, unmarried,
    Father Thomas born unknown date in the USA, deceased
    Mother Emy Done, B. Blackpool, Manchester, 52 yrs old
    Occupation musician - dancer, Jazz band
    Legal residence London
    Previous residence Leeds
    Arrived Belgium 20 Sep 1924
    Was in Brussels Feb 1924 to May 1924, reg Aliens service at Pont Neuf
    Arrived in Antwerp 20Sep 1924
    British passport 162 issued in Budapest 27 Jul 1922 at the Consulate.

(Do you know about Astrid Lusen from Copenhagen?)
    His sig and photo.

He works in the Chantilly (Terminus) on Pelikaanstraat and earns 50 Francs a day.

"In answer to your query, he left this city about 5 Dec last. During his stay, nothing wrong happened".
    The police letter summarizes everything already said, describes his ans the orchestra master of the jazz band.

That's it.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Thank you Pam for the information on how to find images, and thank you Lesley for the translation. No idea about Astrid Lusen from Copenhagen.
    Either Owen didn't know much about his father, or he fibbed! His father wasn't born in America, he was from Lagos. His father bigamously married Amy Done in 1892 in Blackpool. He was already married to my G Grandmother Sarah Hawksby. Owen was the eldest, and only survivor, of four children. Fortunately, my G Grandmother and her two children had family to help them. Amy wasn't so lucky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12