Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Antwerp Belgium Police Immigration Records

Hello All...I have a relative Owen Macaulay b 1893 who is in the Antwerp Police Immigration records. The date at the top of the page he appears on is 1940. However, everything I've read about the 'available' records says they are only 1840-1930. So is the number at the top of the page not actually a date? I'm confused.

Thank you

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The number at the top of the page is the page number. If you look at the image (click on the camera symbol) the right-hand side of the image is headed 1941, i.e. the next page number.

There's three McCaulay names, all with the same file number of 171798. This is the start of that file number.
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...901&cc=2023926

Forgot to add -
    Because they're not written in English, scroll down to 'reading these records'.
    https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...orical_Records

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Is the page online, Pat? Or do you have a scan? It’s always easier to comment on something seen..
    I’m not familiar with this data set.

Note that Pam types faster than me!

Translation:
    Police Department for the City of Antwerp
    Residence Cuperusstraat 3
    Column 1: The individual Alexander is the Alien, Isabel's his wife, the girls are his daughters
    Column 2: Surname and forenames - obvious
    Column 3: Place and date of birth - obvious
    Column 4: Current residence - Antwerp
    Column 5: notes - I'm having fun with the handwriting, will work on it
    Nationality English
    Marriage 27 Dec 1912 Edinburgh (Engd)
    His Father : Robert, born Condorrat (roughly) (Engd) deceased
    His mother: Isabel Whyte, born East Weymes (Engd) deceased
    Occupation Engineer, {second word?}
    Legal residence of the Alien: Paisley(Engd, Schotland) Norwell Lanarkshire
    Last residence abroad: Glasgow (Engd)40 Cranworthstreet.

I need hardly point out that most of the places marked "Engd" are in Scotland, not England..
    No mention of Owen.

That marriage is on SP:
    Alexander Mcaulay & Isabel Stewart Caskey, 1910, St Giles (Edinburgh). I can't get any more info without spending my own credits. If you get it, it will give you both sets of parents, fathers' occupations, etc.
    Birth cert should be there.

Note spelling of his surname.

You may wish you hadn't started that, Lesley, because there's another eight or nine pages relating to the McCaulays.

Pat - make sure you scroll to the bottom of every page. There's a surprise on image 202. May be more at the bottom of other pages, too.

Pam

Ah,but as it’s a printed form, Pat should be able to use my translation to read other pages!

Thankyou everyone. I've no idea why it didn't click that the number at the top of the page wasn't the date. I'm such a dope. I scrolled through but can only find that one page with Owen Macaulay on. Will keep looking.

Pat, I'm still only finding Alexander & family. Can you give me the image number for Owen, please?
    Alexander had some visa trouble, he's described as an engineer and metals dealer in his own business, earning about Fr500 (that would be Belgian Francs, not French).

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Pat, I'm still only finding Alexander & family. Can you give me the image number for Owen, please?
    Alexander had some visa trouble, he's described as an engineer and metals dealer in his own business, earning about Fr500 (that would be Belgian Francs, not French).
    The Image no is 625 on Family Search.

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    The Image no is 625 on Family Search.
    Pat, that image number doesn't make sense to me.
    As FamilySearch is a free site, you're allowed to post the link to the page, so can you do that.

Forget that request. That's the image number for Owen in the index. I am the world's biggest idiot, and can only humbly request Lesley's forgiveness in wasting her time. , because I found the file for Alexander.
    I saw the McCauley surname, and completely misread the first names. Not helped by then confusing Alexander born 1883 with Owen born 1893.

Owen's file number is 179442. I will now go digging for that file number though there's a notice warning that FamilySearch is currently carrying out maintenance for a couple of hours.

Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast