Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Looking for William Stevens WW2

Hi everyone,

I'm here because I cant seem to find my grandad anywhere. His name is William Stevens, born in Liverpool January 12th 1908. My mum told me he had a horse in the second world war and went to India where he was injured.
    That's about all I know. I've searched on Ancestry and here and still cant find him
    Can anyone help, it would be soo appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello neetster,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I've deleted your other post which said exactly the same as this one except for the added words "I've only just read that I've put this in the wrong place .... sorry :/ ". (Duplicate threads/posts just cause confusion.)

If you came to us via Forces War Records, this will explain the connection.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...rs-Please-Read
    While the reason you can't find anything about William is explained by the fact that he served after 1922 and therefore his service records (the main source of information) are still held by the Ministry of Defence. You can apply for a copy of the records but due to Covid-19 currently face quite a long wait to see them. To apply you will need William's date of birth (so you're already a third of the way there ), a copy of his death certificate, and a cheque for thirty quid. Plus a couple of forms which you can find links to in this post.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...-WW2-amp-after

I would add that as William's name is fairly common, that I would add his place of birth when you fill in the forms.

Once you have William's regiment then you can apply to The National Archives at Kew for their war diaries. I doubt that William will be mentioned in them by name but you'll be able to find out why he was in India.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”