Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question National Service and Army records

Hello

I was born and live in Northern Ireland. My late father was English and did his national service in the 1950's I think. He was born in 1935. My late grandfather served in WW2 and I have been told he was a Staff Sergeant and went to Germany. He survived the war but died in the mid 1960's.

I've no idea how to go about researching their military backgrounds but I'd very much like to know more about them. I have had a quick look on the National Archives site but to view records it requests subscription/payment. I'm reluctant to start signing up for sites unless I know they can give me all that I'm looking for, otherwise it could become an expensive and somewhat patchy effort.

Also, some places seem to require their service numbers. I've no idea how to find these either, all help appreciated.

All help much appreciated to help me find out more about my father and grandfather.
    Thankyou
    Pauline

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Pauline,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Service records for all personnel who served after 1922 are still held by the Ministry of Defence.
    Further details about how to obtain them can be found at
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...-WW2-amp-after

You don't need a service number (though if you have a common name a service number may help in obtaining the correct record), but you do need a date of birth, a death certificate, and thirty quid for each record you send for. And currently a lot of patience because Covid-19 has meant that the usual waiting time of a couple of months is now eighteen and possibly more.

Finding out further details about their service often depends on obtaining the service records first, e.g. you need to know which regiment they were in before you can obtain copies of the regiment's war diaries.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

I have had a quick look on the National Archives site but to view records it requests subscription/payment
    What???!!!

They wouldn't ask you to pay for something they haven't got.

On the National Archives home page there's a big friendly button "Help with your research". Follow that through and you would have found the information that Pam has now given you.