Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missing History

Famous for offering help & advice

is that the Nellie Motteram, daughter of Ernest, who married Frederick Joseph George in Virginia in 1918, aged 17 ?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by esmotteram View Post
    The 1901 UK census does produce an Ernest Mottram (sp) boarder, about the correct age (31) from Manchester. Just not enough info to connect the dots. I feel I've gone thru Ancestry and FamilySearch fairly thoroughly, but I keep going back there.
    I haven't had any luck with embarkation lists or travel. I can't figure how/or when he go to UK to return in 1905.
    Have you seen the entry of an Ernest Motteram returning to New York from Liverpool on the SS Teutonic arriving 19 July 1905. Age 38.

a slight confusion (at least for me) as an Ernest SAMUEL MOTTRAM, born Ashton-under-Lyne, 1869 also seems to have emigrated to the US, naturalised Wisconsin 1892. But obviously a different person.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    is that the Nellie Motteram, daughter of Ernest, who married Frederick Joseph George in Virginia in 1918, aged 17 ?
    Find-A-Grave has Nellie's 1968 grave as the wife of Lawrence Thomas Haney, who I take to be a second husband. This gives her birthplace as Munhall, Pennsylvania.

I now realise that there are 30 public trees on Ancestry which include your ESM1. The majority of these trees have ESM1 on the 1891 census, in Barrow-in-Furness, Lancashire, with his wife and the child William George (Rawlins), who was born out of wedlock in 1889. The 1891 census was taken in April so I don't know how compatible that is with ESM1 taking part in a strike in July.

I have now googled Homestead steel strike and find that it occured in July 1892 not 1891. Is that correct ?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    I now realise that there are 30 public trees on Ancestry which include your ESM1. The majority of these trees have ESM1 on the 1891 census, in Barrow-in-Furness, Lancashire, with his wife and the child William George (Rawlins), who was born out of wedlock in 1889. The 1891 census was taken in April so I don't know how compatible that is with ESM1 taking part in a strike in July.

I have now googled Homestead steel strike and find that it occured in July 1892 not 1891. Is that correct ?
    Also this is transcribed as Mottram and Ernest has been transcribed as Ernest T. Not that this makes any difference, just shows that we have to look at everything!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12