Thread: RAF LISTING

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default RAF LISTING

Hello, I am new to this site and am trying to trace back my Father who was in the RAF. I do not have any of his service details or records but have managed to find 2 listings under his name, but how do I know which one would be him?? as there are no date of birth details or certificates that I could recognise his hand writing from or home address etc of when he enlisted. Any help would be accepted very gratefully. thanks

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MParry View Post
    Hello, I am new to this site and am trying to trace back my Father who was in the RAF. I do not have any of his service details or records but have managed to find 2 listings under his name, but how do I know which one would be him?? as there are no date of birth details or certificates that I could recognise his hand writing from or home address etc of when he enlisted. Any help would be accepted very gratefully. thanks
    What dates are you looking at?

I suspect that you know more than you think. As Sue says, when was he in the RAF, even roughly? Do you know whether he was aircrew, or one of the ground trades?
    Where did you find the listings? Was he an officer?

Eventually, the best thing to do would be to buy a set of his records, but I know that it would be nice to know a bit more first. Especially as the records office is operating with a delay at the moment.

PS I see that this was your first post. Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum

Knowledgeable and helpful

Did he marry during the war? If so, his marriage certificate may have details of his service as well as his civilian occupation. Certainly my parents certificate from 1944 does. pwholt

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default thank you

thanks for your help, and I think that out of the 2 listings I may have found him, as I have a small material pouch that has a number, which I now think is Dads service number (although one number is different but think this could be a mix up between an 8 and a 0).

but apart from being confirmed he was in the RAF joined after 1940 it does not give me any further information. I do not know anything so not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I suspect that you know more than you think. As Sue says, when was he in the RAF, even roughly? Do you know whether he was aircrew, or one of the ground trades?
    Where did you find the listings? Was he an officer?

Eventually, the best thing to do would be to buy a set of his records, but I know that it would be nice to know a bit more first. Especially as the records office is operating with a delay at the moment.

PS I see that this was your first post. Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum

All service records from 1921 onwards are still held by the MoD but you can apply for them. You will need a copy of your Dad's death certificate, his date of birth and 30 pounds. You do not need his service number so it would be best not to give them the number on the pouch.
    This 'sticky' give more information and a link where you can download the application forms.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs