Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for Elinor/Eleanor Mansard Haward

I am looking for the wife of John Phillips, Elinor/Eleanor Haward from Pembrokeshire. There are many mentions in FamilySearch and MyHeratige, however, I can find no source information. We think she was born in 1660 in Haverfordwest but that is about all I know. My worry is that the 1660's were not a good time of documentation. I am looking for her because her husbands name is just too common, but Elinor Haward is not.

I have searched the English Baronetage, Annals and Antiquities, and Google books. I have looked at a few wills from John Phillips from 1737 when we think he died, but no mention of Elinor.

Any other leads appreciated. Thank you.

This links to a separate post re John Phillips, born 1660, Pembrokeshire?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Yes, but trying to see if there are ways people look for the wives of people from so far back. I often see their first names followed by letter v and then their father. Looking for other techniques to find wives of our ancestors.

Brick wall demolition expert!

You are searching back at a time when many records either never existed or haven't survived. Your best hope would be to simply blanket search where ever possible, and if it were me I would concentrate on the spelling Haward as that is more unusual.

For instance if you search the National Archives using that spelling during the 17th century you get quite a few results and some of those mention Pembrokeshire:
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...&_ed=1699&_hb=

Similarly Pembrokeshire archive's online catolgue brings up a few:
    https://records.pembrokeshire.gov.uk.../Overview.aspx

Whether any of these lead to Elinor I can't say, but I think that you have to look at the widest possible range of leads.

https://www.library.wales/discover/l...esources/wills

Click on link and click on drop down symbol in 1st box marked "Select"
    Select "Name" from drop down menu and enter Elinor Phillips in box alongside - hit "Search"
    Select "Elinor Phillips 1748" and click on "View the items"

You can also search for "Elenor Phillips" which will return a Grant of Administration.

Elenor/Elinor Phillips returns very few hits - hence I did not explain use of filters. If you wish to extend your searches eg John Phillips (of which there are many!!), you can limit the no. of hits returned by Date or Diocese (from drop down menu select "Tyddewi/St Davids") or Parish (drop down menu select "Haverfordwest") or all three (remembering less is more).

pob lwc

Thank you for the advice and the new link to Pembrokeshire's Archive. It definitely gives more things to look at.

Helachau, Thank you for the link to the will. It's well written and very legible, not sure if the same Elinor as she mentions only one beneficiary, her son James Phillips and no other family giving me the impression she outlived her husband as many do with only one child. I will definitely look into this more and add Elinor Phillips as a search name instead of just Haward. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    You can also search for "Elenor Phillips" which will return a Grant of Administration.

Elenor/Elinor Phillips returns very few hits - hence I did not explain use of filters. If you wish to extend your searches eg John Phillips (of which there are many!!), you can limit the no. of hits returned by Date or Diocese (from drop down menu select "Tyddewi/St Davids") or Parish (drop down menu select "Haverfordwest") or all three (remembering less is more).

pob lwc
    What is a Grant of Administration? Interesting that both the will of Elenor from 1748 and the Grant of Administration from 1736 were signed by George Phillips

Do please remember that name spelling was very variable back there, as you've obviously noticed with forenames. If Elinor was my ancestor, I'd also be looking at the much more common Howard - it only takes one careless clerk to cause all sorts of mayhem.
    Do you have reason to think that John was a baronet of some sort?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast