Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Do please remember that name spelling was very variable back there, as you've obviously noticed with forenames. If Elinor was my ancestor, I'd also be looking at the much more common Howard - it only takes one careless clerk to cause all sorts of mayhem.
    Do you have reason to think that John was a baronet of some sort?
    There are some mentions that he is related to the Philipps of Picton, but I can find no mention of a John Philipps/Phillips in the Picton line that was ever married to an Ellinor Haward. So, I am not so sure that is true.

The Grant of Administration is the only time I have seen Ellinor and John Phillips on the same piece of paper. Promising.
    Last edited by Rivermaster; 08-08-2021 at 3:24 PM. Reason: Reposted old info

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivermaster View Post
    What is a Grant of Administration? Interesting that both the will of Elenor from 1748 and the Grant of Administration from 1736 were signed by George Phillips
    A grant of administration is issued by a court or the probate service when no will has been found.

So I think I may have found something. Sir Erasmus Philipps 3rd Bart. was first married to Cicely Finch and had a daughter named Anna Philipps. She was married twice, first to Thomas Bowen with no issue then to Thomas Heyward. Heyward is slightly different spelling than Haward but worth following up.

I have tried to find any issue by them but have not seen anything so far, only that they were married. Any help greatly appreciated to see if they had a daughter named Elen/Elinor between 1650-1658. Thanks.

Lodge and Archdall in their "Peerage of Ireland", vol 7, published 1789, have Anne Phillips marrying " ... Thomas Heywood of Rudbaxton, Esq ..." - no mention of issue.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

It states the same in the English Baronetage of 1741, that she was first married to Thomas Bowen then Thomas Heyward. Strangely, in the Heraldic Visitation Vol. 1, page 171, second column where it speaks of Morgan Philipps issue, she is in there as well which is a mistake. Morgan was actually her great great grandfather. I did find on page 115 of that same book that Morgan had a sister named Anne as well that married a Thomas Owen of Pentre Ieuan.

I keep seeing on Ancestry.com that John Phillips is the son of Erasmus Philipps. That John married twice, once to Elinor Mansward and secondly to Mary Smith. Problem is I can only find that Erasmus son, John, only married Mary Smith. No mention of the Elinor. Does anyone know if John Phillips ap Erasmus Philipps married more than once?

Deleted

"The History of Parliament" describes John Philipps M.P, c.1666- 1737, of Picton Castle as-

"1st surv. son of Sir Erasmus Philipps, 3rd Bt., MP for Pembroke 1654, by Catherine, dau. and coh. of Hon. Edward Darcy by Elizabeth, dau of Philip Stanhope, 1st Earl of Chesterfield; uncle by marriage to Sir Robert Walpole. educ. - Westminster 1679; Trinity, Cam. 1682; L.Inn 1684; m. 12 Dec 1697, Mary, dau. and h. of Anthony Smith, E.I merchant, 3s. 4da. suc. fa. 1697"

Wonder why Elinor was omitted?
    What's the provenance of what you " ... keep seeing on Ancestry..."?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12