Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Looking for some information

Hello,

I am completely new to this site and know little of military history.

I'm not sure if I am in the correct forum to be asking these questions

My enquiry is based around a vintage bespoke 3 piece suit from a famous British tailor's shop but they kept no records.

While restoring I came across a sewn in paper label and now know the suit was made in August of 1968. It had a name, a Capt J.B.B.Pope but that is all the information there is.

The 2nd B is a little ineligible but reasonably confidant it is a "B".

Because of the sizing of the suit at the time of manufacture I can't imagine the gentleman being older then 40 at the time and possibly a good deal younger. That would make his birth year 1928 onwards?

I know he is a Capt, but in what armed service/regiment and what became of him?

It is not much I know but any information would be appreciated.
    Thank you

Welcome to the British Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War Records this link will explain the connection.
    What an interesting puzzle you have to try and solve. Unfortunately WW11 service records are still held by the MoD and not available online.
    I have looked on FreeBMD for births with the initials J Pope and there are none with John/James/ or other first names and with even two B B initials for middle names from 1890 onwards. I have used ancestry to look at electoral rolls and marriages but nothing so far.
    Others may be on the search also.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

The closest I have got is a James R B Pope born in Keynsham, Gloucestershire in 1924. If he served during WW2,very few personal records for that period are on line, and we have to be aware that it is just possible that he is still alive.

Knowledgeable and helpful

What about the Army Lists or Navy Lists? One near 1968 might list the man you seek. A good reference library should have some. I think I found some at the NA. pwholt

Reputation beyond repute

I could do you a J J B POPE. Suit you sir?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Nice one, Peter.

To the thoughts of checking FreeBMD, and the Army and Navy lists, how about the London Gazette if he was a military man and got promoted?
    However he could be just an ordinary ship's captain.
    And, of course, he might not have been born in England or Wales, which is all that FreeBMD covers.
    Without a first name, it's very much a 'needle in a haystack' search.

One thing that's bothering me is
    Because of the sizing of the suit at the time of manufacture I can't imagine the gentleman being older then 40 at the time and possibly a good deal younger. That would make his birth year 1928 onwards?
    I don't think you can judge someone's age by the size of their clothes. My uncle, at age 95, is either the same size he was aged 25, or else only a couple of inches bigger at the most.
    Do you mean the style? If you tell us the name of the tailor it might give a clue as to the type of person who might have bought a suit there. e.g. John Stephen of Carnaby Street is slightly different to Gieves and Hawkes in Savile Row.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi,

I would like to thank everyone thus far who has replied, very much appreciated.

I have a JPEG of the name label but how do I upload it to this site.

I have gone squint looking and am 98% confidant the last " B " is a " B ", so Capt' J. B. B. Pope.

For reasons I am happy to explain later for lack of makers name, the suit was made in London by renowned tailors who also made military uniforms, unfortunately they haven't or kept little archival records.

You are correct Pam on its own you can't determine the age of the wearer by size alone but by combining little clues you might get a good run at it.

The suit its self I believe is bespoke, beautifully stitched and almost timeless in design, pure wool and imo would look as good on today as it did in August of 1968.

It was really only during the middle 70s that peoples waist lines began to spread, before that and accepting I'm using a wide brush--before that--both sexes WW2 and post, up to the 70s, were a bit on the scrawny side.

It is a gentrified day suit, plain, smart and conservative. I put wearer at no more then 40 but older then 25, size being one and because of the expense of having such a suit made.

Of course the name could be false, the writing on the label is that of the retailer but such an unusual rank and name to come up with.

EDIT, the tailor is pre they moving to Savile Row.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Instructions on how to upload an image.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...os-on-Brit-Gen
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hope this works.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Like Peter the above is the only contender I can find. Julian John Buckingham Pope.
    born 16 May 1938, Kensington, Greater London
    Died 13 September 1988 Upton Grove, Tetbury, Cirencester, Gloucestershire.
    Married March 1/4 1964 registration district Westminster, Middlesex.

In the 1939 register J J B Pope is with his paternal grandparents and his mother Elizabeth but no father with them. Grandfather is a retired Major so looks like JJB came from a military family

On The National Archives site Here
    Julian John Buckingham Pope
    Publication date 1 January 1973
    Rank - Major
    Service Number - 439309
    Regiment or Unit - Coldstream Guards
    Theatre of Combat or Operation - New Year Honours
    Award - Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
    Date of Action or Award - 1973

His wife could very well still be alive as she was born in 1941.

Whoever wrote the note may well have substituted a B for the second J.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast