Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

To add to Christina's information re Julian John Buckingham Pope, there's an announcement of his death in The Times newspaper, dated Friday 16 September 1988, which says he died suddenly, and he was a Lieutenant Colonel, late of the Coldstream Guards.

Had inspiration and thought I'd check for a marriage. Yes, there is a report in The Times, where the groom is addressed as Mr. That is just so annoying.
    However, he was a Captain in 1968.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you so much

It has to be feasible and error occurred and whom ever substituted a B for the second J.

If the right person, Major Pope was only 50 when he died, that seems very young.

Captain at 30 in 1968, 35 in 1973, a Major, is that correct or am I not understanding details?

Could he have lost his life due to the conflict in Northern Ireland?

His award, that would be an MBE?

His Grandfather was a retired Major, any indication as to his full name and regiment?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    To add to Christina's information re Julian John Buckingham Pope, there's an announcement of his death in The Times newspaper, dated Friday 16 September 1988, which says he died suddenly, and he was a Lieutenant Colonel, late of the Coldstream Guards.

Had inspiration and thought I'd check for a marriage. Yes, there is a report in The Times, where the groom is addressed as Mr. That is just so annoying.
    However, he was a Captain in 1968.

Pam
    Thank you Pam.

Our posts crossed.

I was rereading Christina's wonderful efforts, then read yours.

I'm getting a little fuddled on details I am reading.

Assuming there was an error and the name on the label is indeed Julian John Buckingham Pope, when tragically he died was he a Major or a a Lieutenant Colonel?

All the details you and Christania are providing are coming together.

The tailors involved are also military outfitters and I am pushing them a little harder for any details they may have and prepared to give, hopefully I will know more in a few days.

Is there any indication if Lieutenant Colonel Pope had children?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I could do you a J J B POPE. Suit you sir?
    Oh Peter it has taken me all this time to cotton on to this!!

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Captain at 30 in 1968, 35 in 1973, a Major, is that correct or am I not understanding details?
    Julian's rank when he died was Lieutenant-Colonel, not Major.
    Could he have lost his life due to the conflict in Northern Ireland?
    He died in England. For further details you would have to buy a copy of his death certificate unless there's something on the internet.
    His award, that would be an MBE?
    Yes.

With the following questions we are now moving away from ownership of a suit into far more intrusive questions about people to whom you are not related.

His Grandfather was a retired Major, any indication as to his full name and regiment?

Is there any indication if Lieutenant Colonel Pope had children?
    There is also the matter that the person who we think might be the owner of the suit, might not actually be so.

Until you hear back from the tailors, and/or can give us further information about what you intend to do with the suit, then on privacy grounds I think it best that we consider this thread closed for help from our members. There is nothing however to prevent you from using the same resources that people in this thread have used to find out information for yourself.

Pam

Pam is correct. Apart from the fact that our own T&C prohibit the publishing of data about potentially living people, this search has gone beyond whether someone, vaguely identified, once owned a suit.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

So there can be no misunderstanding, I am a costumier and collector in my own right.

While I know little of anything military, I have over the years collect or gathered a number of military related items.

A 3 piece suit would not be generally considered such an item but while starting its repairs, I was directed towards the paper label and I found a name. Many would have ignored it or just removed the label, I did not.

I did however reach out and ask for help.

Let me be clear, I AM the owner of the suit. Let me be clear of my intentions, it is to sell but not before first attempting to find details on its previous owner, a military person and before condemning it to the dim history that can happen to so many historical, vintage and items of interest.

Let me also be clear, asking here on this site is my attempt at being discrete or at least asking question first. I had and have no intention of blundering or prying in to the family affairs of others but in an attempt to avoid this, questions have to be asked.

The reasons for the 20/20 is to help in cross referencing, I would not and have never solely relied on information received on a site, however accurate--ever.

I was however attempting to take the hard work out of any research--to cross reference any research I was attempting which admittedly was going no where fast.

I cannot emphasize enough I understand discretion and sensitivity, this is not my first rodeo into such things.

It is a little unpleasant, if not a little arrogant to speak for others and consider a thread closed until,--it come across as a self promoted door person and doesn't allow for the common sense, the discretion, the knowledge and experience, the compassion of other members, I am sure members here are good at judgement calls.

Equally a little presumptuous is to helpfully suggest "There is nothing however to prevent you from using the same resources that people in this thread have used to find out information for yourself".

If more could do that or had the time or way with it all there would be little use of these forums.

None the less I am grateful for the information received thus far.

Lieutenant-Colonel Pope, ( if the right person ), may have died suddenly in England but I had wondered if caused by injuries received elsewhere.

Lastly and referring back to my intentions, ( which for over thinking reasons is a concern for some ), for the suit, if vagueness can be removed, was, as an option, to offer the suit back to closest family members, remembering I didn't ask for children's names just if there was off spring but such a gesture could also be fraught with causing upset.

So for now, unless I find or receive further information, I'm the kid sitting at a dinning table on his own--well done.

Quote Originally Posted by avantbo View Post
    So there can be no misunderstanding, I am a costumier and collector in my own right.

While I know little of anything military, I have over the years collect or gathered a number of military related items.

A 3 piece suit would not be generally considered such an item but while starting its repairs, I was directed towards the paper label and I found a name. Many would have ignored it or just removed the label, I did not.

I did however reach out and ask for help.

Let me be clear, I AM the owner of the suit. Let me be clear of my intentions, it is to sell but not before first attempting to find details on its previous owner, a military person and before condemning it to the dim history that can happen to so many historical, vintage and items of interest.
    Thank you for the clarification re the background to your query.
    I totally agree with you re confirming the provenance behind an item. My kids will have a list of the items I treasure, and the story behind them, so that they don't just throw stuff in the skip, willy-nilly.

Let me also be clear, asking here on this site is my attempt at being discrete or at least asking question first. I had and have no intention of blundering or prying in to the family affairs of others but in an attempt to avoid this, questions have to be asked.
    Questions do have to be asked, but there is a limit to what is considered relevant, and a question involving a grandfather is not relevant to the ownership of a suit. Especially when the owner is not a complete certainty.

The reasons for the 20/20 is to help in cross referencing, I would not and have never solely relied on information received on a site, however accurate--ever.
    If only family historians were as thorough, instead of automatically relying on other people's wrongly-planted family trees

I cannot emphasize enough I understand discretion and sensitivity, this is not my first rodeo into such things.

It is a little unpleasant, if not a little arrogant to speak for others and consider a thread closed until,--it come across as a self promoted door person and doesn't allow for the common sense, the discretion, the knowledge and experience, the compassion of other members, I am sure members here are good at judgement calls.
    Any of the forum Moderators have the authority to close a thread if it is deemed necessary. (That is not arrogance, merely a statement of fact of how this, and any other, forum works.)
    It was not my decision alone. Other Moderators felt the thread should be closed while I, in fact, argued that the thread should be left open so that you could have the right to give a little more information regarding the background to both you and the suit. It was agreed that perhaps it was better for the moment to consider the thread closed for further 'help' replies.

At times, there is a very fine line between allowing a thread to continue and closing it.
    In this instance 'discretion and sensitivity' towards the family of someone who may not be the purchaser of the suit took priority. You have to remember that you're talking of events in the last 50-60 years - possibly within your lifetime. How would you feel about your family's details being splashed around on a public forum even if you knew that they were absolutely 100% connected to an event? In this instance, it's very much a case of 'might be' connected, and that is the over-ruling factor.

I was however attempting to take the hard work out of any research--to cross reference any research I was attempting which admittedly was going no where fast.

Equally a little presumptuous is to helpfully suggest "There is nothing however to prevent you from using the same resources that people in this thread have used to find out information for yourself".

If more could do that or had the time or way with it all there would be little use of these forums.
    I think it more than a little presumptuous of you to expect other people to do your hard work for you. Research is hard work, and very time consuming, but if you want results you have to put the time in.
    Had you previously looked at the resources used by people who responded to the thread?
    I know pwholt suggested the Army and Navy lists, and I suggested the London Gazette, though neither of us had actually searched them. Sometimes our time limitations prevent us doing those searches - but we had taken the time to read your query and suggest places for you to search. For all we knew you may have already searched those areas, so it would have been senseless for anyone to waste their time doing the same search.

None the less I am grateful for the information received thus far.
    That's good to know.
    Lieutenant-Colonel Pope, ( if the right person ), may have died suddenly in England but I had wondered if caused by injuries received elsewhere.
    There may be a newspaper article somewhere, but when you're going a 'general search' you can get multiple results which, frankly, the 'ordinary helper' is not going to spend time looking through. This applies to anyone who asks for help from any of our members on the forum. However much we want to help people we only have x amount of time in our day to do so.

Lastly and referring back to my intentions, ( which for over thinking reasons is a concern for some ), for the suit, if vagueness can be removed, was, as an option, to offer the suit back to closest family members, remembering I didn't ask for children's names just if there was off spring but such a gesture could also be fraught with causing upset.
    Replies in the thread have given you the sources to refer to for finding if Julian had any children.
    I cannot emphasise enough that, at the moment, ownership of the suit has not been proved, and we do have a ‘responsibility of care’ (for want of a better description) about what information is posted.

So for now, unless I find or receive further information, I'm the kid sitting at a dinning table on his own--well done.
    But with details of someone who might have been the owner of the suit.
    Which is more than you had when you began this thread.

I would also like to point you to brentor boy's post #3 in which another name has been suggested but not investigated. If you accept that J B B could have been written by mistake for J J B, then you have to accept that it could also have been written in error for J R B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12