Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Margaret Anges Sutton

I have done quite a bit of research on my family, however the one puzzle which I have run out of ideas on is my great grandmother, Margaret Agnes Sutton. She was born on 13th December, allegedly in 1902, according to her death certificate and 1939 register, though I cannot find evidence to confirm that. She never married my grandfather, William Sullivan, who was married twice previously, and whose second wife Norah Davies was still living in 1939 with her sister and brother Ada and Thomas Davies.

Margaret and William began living together in 1934 at 45 Raleigh Road, Wood Green, Hornsey, London. William lived there a year earlier, on his own. I can trace them through the electoral rolls to various addresses, including 23 Alexandra Road in 1940, when my grandmother Barbara Sullivan was born. After moving from there in 1952, they stay in the Wood Green area until the late sixties, when they move to my grandfather's address in Pailton, Rugby, where Margaret dies in 1968. William moves across the street and dies in 1971.

My grandmother died in 2010. She had a half sister who died in 2012. My grandfather has dementia. Aside from that I have nothing else to go on and I'm looking for help.

In summary:

Margaret Agnes Sutton 13 December - 23 January 1968 Pailton, Rugby, Warwickshire
    William Sullivan 30 April 1899 - 2 November 1971 Pailton, Rugby, Warwickshire

Their daughter: Barbara Margaret Sullivan 18 August 1940 at 23 Alexandra Road, Wood Green, - 12 March 2010 Rugby, Warwickshire

William's daughter: Doris May Sullivan 30 November 1924 - 18 April 2012

William's first wife and mother of Doris: Myrtle M Giles 1903- 4 May 1926

William's second wife: Norah Davies 9 August 1907 - ? still living in 1939 at 215 Westcombe Hill, Greenwich, with her sister Ada Davies (1913-?) and her brother John Thomas Davis (1911/1915-?).

I possibly have found Margaret Agnes Sutton at 33 Mayfield Avenue in 1929-1930 and 247 Nurses Cottages in 1930. Beyond that nothing earlier. A search of the BMD does not bring her being registered in December 1902.

Any help would be appreciated.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle82 View Post
    I have done quite a bit of research on my family, however the one puzzle which I have run out of ideas on is my great grandmother, Margaret Agnes Sutton. She was born on 13th December, allegedly in 1902, according to her death certificate and 1939 register, though I cannot find evidence to confirm that. She never married my grandfather, William Sullivan, who was married twice previously, and whose second wife Norah Davies was still living in 1939 with her sister and brother Ada and Thomas Davies.

Margaret and William began living together in 1934 at 45 Raleigh Road, Wood Green, Hornsey, London. William lived there a year earlier, on his own. I can trace them through the electoral rolls to various addresses, including 23 Alexandra Road in 1940, when my grandmother Barbara Sullivan was born. After moving from there in 1952, they stay in the Wood Green area until the late sixties, when they move to my grandfather's address in Pailton, Rugby, where Margaret dies in 1968. William moves across the street and dies in 1971.

My grandmother died in 2010. She had a half sister who died in 2012. My grandfather has dementia. Aside from that I have nothing else to go on and I'm looking for help.

In summary:

Margaret Agnes Sutton 13 December - 23 January 1968 Pailton, Rugby, Warwickshire
    William Sullivan 30 April 1899 - 2 November 1971 Pailton, Rugby, Warwickshire

Their daughter: Barbara Margaret Sullivan 18 August 1940 at 23 Alexandra Road, Wood Green, - 12 March 2010 Rugby, Warwickshire

William's daughter: Doris May Sullivan 30 November 1924 - 18 April 2012

William's first wife and mother of Doris: Myrtle M Giles 1903- 4 May 1926

William's second wife: Norah Davies 9 August 1907 - ? still living in 1939 at 215 Westcombe Hill, Greenwich, with her sister Ada Davies (1913-?) and her brother John Thomas Davis (1911/1915-?).

I possibly have found Margaret Agnes Sutton at 33 Mayfield Avenue in 1929-1930 and 247 Nurses Cottages in 1930. Beyond that nothing earlier. A search of the BMD does not bring her being registered in December 1902.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Have you any idea where Margaret may have been born? If she was born in December 1902, there is a possibility that her birth registration may be in the first quarter of 1903. I can't see anything though, not with the name Sutton.

Super Moderator

Is there a possibility that Margaret could have married a Sutton? So this was not her birth name? There are a lot of marriage registrations for a Margaret Agnes to a Sutton. Was the name on her death cert. Sutton?

My gran never married the father of their 8 children, but she did take his surname.

Famous for offering help & advice

There’s a tree on Ancestry with this lady which has no further info than what you have stated. The abbreviation on the 1939 register NR230 BMA 1/5/1947, I think it refers to name change by deed pollon the date given. BMA is the area code for Hornsey.

Like Suemalings I too wondered if she was previously married. 1939 states single but that is just what the enumerator was told.

I wondered if she was married too but I can't find that out. The tree is mine under my mother's name. I tried to search the notation in the 1939 register and I couldn't prove if she did change her name. There is an electoral roll where she is called Sutton not Sullivan, I can't remember which one it is. Her name on the death certificate was Sullivan.

Knowledgeable and helpful

The closest I can get is-
    From GRO Index. Maggie Agnes Sutton Mar Q 1901. St olave's Southwark. Mmn Payne.

From Free Reg. Baptised 29 April 1901. Clapham. Parents George (coachman) and Kate Sutton, of Battersea.

In 1911 she was an inmate of King Edward's School Orphanage, Southwark

All totally speculative. I realise it is contrary to the anticipated time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    The closest I can get is-
    From GRO Index. Maggie Agnes Sutton Mar Q 1901. St olave's Southwark. Mmn Payne.

From Free Reg. Baptised 29 April 1901. Clapham. Parents George (coachman) and Kate Sutton, of Battersea.

In 1911 she was an inmate of King Edward's School Orphanage, Southwark

All totally speculative. I realise it is contrary to the anticipated time frame.
    That one has come up, but I've no way of knowing if it is. William's previous wife Norah came from a caravan family, so it could be possible this was another.

William served in the war too, so its possible he met her after he was discharged. I did wonder if it was worth doing a dna ancestry test, but I'm not sure if it will help.

Brick wall demolition expert!

According to the birth index Barbara Sullivan's mother's maiden name was Sutton.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    According to the birth index Barbara Sullivan's mother's maiden name was Sutton.
    My nan's maiden name was given as her married name on her children's birth certificates. She married at the age of 18 then "took up" with someone else and called herself by his name, although she was still married to her husband.

Famous for offering help & advice

Re post #7, you could always buy the birth certificate and see what her DoB was. A December birth could easily have been registered the following year, and the PDF would only set you back £7.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast