Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Re post #7, you could always buy the birth certificate and see what her DoB was. A December birth could easily have been registered the following year, and the PDF would only set you back £7.
    we did try that and got back one dated about a century earlier! There is also the possibility that Agnes was not included in the official register, as sometimes the middle initial is missing from the electoral roll, so it opens up a lot of possibilities.

There is a Magaret Agnes registered Dec 1899, but we've ruled her out via google and her wikipedia entry.

Super Moderator

Do you know when William married Norah Davies? I cannot find a registration. Found Myrtle in 1924.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle82 View Post
    we did try that and got back one dated about a century earlier!
    I don't understand how that happened. If you ordered the certificate using the details below and didn't receive the certificate you ordered you should contact the GRO and ask them to send you the one you did order.

Births Mar 1901, Sutton Maggie Agnes St. Olave 1d 211
    Alma

Super Moderator

In 1939 on the Register (not Electoral Roll) Norah Sullivan is living at 215 Westcombe Hill, along with a lot of other people by the name of Kemp (7 of them) and one Thomas Davis. Her date of birth is shown as 9 August 1909 She is a Kitchen Maid and Married. Found the marriage reg. in 1928 as her name was David not Davies. Ada married a Bing. The fact that she states she is married probably is the reason why William and Margaret never married.

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Do you know when William married Norah Davies? I cannot find a registration. Found Myrtle in 1924.
    They married 2 September 1928 Holy Trinity, Blackheath Hill, Greenwich.

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    In 1939 on the Register (not Electoral Roll) Norah Sullivan is living at 215 Westcombe Hill, along with a lot of other people by the name of Kemp (7 of them) and one Thomas Davis. Her date of birth is shown as 9 August 1909 She is a Kitchen Maid and Married. Found the marriage reg. in 1928 as her name was David not Davies. Ada married a Bing. The fact that she states she is married probably is the reason why William and Margaret never married.
    I also found her at the same address in 1938 but not before then and not afterwards. Ada starts living at 215 in 1934 and Thomas in 1936 till he marries in 1940.

I did find the marriage reg under Davis july-aug-sep quarter, greenwich 1d 2315.

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    The closest I can get is-
    From GRO Index. Maggie Agnes Sutton Mar Q 1901. St Olave's Southwark. MMN Payne.

From Free Reg. Baptised 29 April 1901. Clapham. Parents George (coachman) and Kate Sutton, of Battersea.

In 1911 she was an inmate of King Edward's School Orphanage, Southwark

All totally speculative. I realise it is contrary to the anticipated time frame.
    I think it is a chance the above GRO record is the right one.

However, I don't think the baptism in Clapham, parents George and Kate is for the same Maggie, I'm inclined to think Maggie Agnes registered St Olaves Mar 1901 with MMN Payne is the daughter of Richard and Alice Agnes Sutton, here's why.

Maggie Agnes Sutton
    Baptism 24 Feb 1901, Bermondsey St Mary Magdalene, Southwark
    Father: Richard Sutton a labourer, Mother: Alice Agnes Sutton
    Abode, 15, Worthing Buildings.

1901, RG13; Piece: 389; Folio: 104; Page: 35
    15, Worthing Buildings, Bermondsey.
    Richard Sutton 31, boilermakers assistant, Lambeth
    Alice Sutton 29, Bermondsey
    Rosa Sutton 5, Lambeth
    William Sutton 4, Lambeth
    Mary Sutton 1, Bermondsey
    Maggie Sutton 3/12, Bermondsey

Marriage at All Saints, Walworth, Southwark, 14 Sep 1895
    Richard Henry Sutton, 25, father William Phillip Sutton, deceased
    Alice Agnes Payne, 24, father William Grinsted Payne, railway checker.

1911, Camberwell. RG14; Piece 2533; RD 27.
    Alice Sutton 39, married 16 yrs (deserted) 6 children born alive all living.
    Agnes Payne 74
    William Sutton 14
    Elsie Sutton 9
    Arthur Sutton 5
    As Richard deserted Alice, it explains why Maggie Agnes was an inmate at the school, Rose was in service, and from memory, Mary was also an inmate.

Still, no confirmation of course that this is the right ancestry.
    Alma

Well I've taken a risk and ordered the certificate for her so we'll see.

Norah's sister Ada Davis, married Sidney Robert Bing, who lived at 215 Westcombe Hill with her before they moved to Bexley. Norah dies in Bexley July 1975, surviving both William and Margaret Agnes.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle82 View Post
    Well I've taken a risk and ordered the certificate for her so we'll see.
    Fingers crossed! Do let us know what the certificate says.
    Alma

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast