Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Settling in

Question Pre war swastika in Plymouth

I have recently discovered a family photo of my Mum, her parents and her siblings taken somewhere in Plymouth during 1936/37 and on what appears to be an all black pram there is a large swastika on the left side panel. I am aware that historically the symbol was used by various nations, cultures and religions but could it also have been a brand mark or makers logo? is it possible I could up load the pic ?

I thought that the Scouts used something like it, but I don't know which way the "legs" were turning...

There's a "sticky" from Christanel about how to upload photos HERE.

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I thought that the Scouts used something like it, but I don't know which way the "legs" were turning...
    I wasn't aware that the Scouts ever used a swastika, but I wonder if the Cubs, through their association with Rudyard Kipling and The Jungle Book, might have done? https://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/facts_swastik.htm

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Seems to be common to use the symbol even up to the late 1930s.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26369329

Knowledgeable and helpful

The history of the swastika (both right facing and left facing) is an ancient religious symbol and was used in the Indian subcontinent since 500 BCE.
    The Nazi party did not start using it as symbol of national pride until the mid war period (1930s), western cultures tend to blot out the true history of the swastika due to its association in WWII with the Nazis.
    It is time this association was condemned to history and the true symbolism was reclaimed in the western world.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

By the same token, traditional German folk music became so closely associated with the Nazis that it was suppressed and is (as far as I know) no longer performed. I enjoy listening to traditional French, Italian and Spanish folk music and am curious to know if I would also enjoy the German equivalent. I wonder if it will ever re-emerge?

My local church St Thomas Brampton memorial has a swastika on it at the top, although it arms are opposite to the Nazi one. Often wondered why a first world war memorial would have something like that on it.

Knowledgeable and helpful

There are swastikas on the WW1 part of Swansea's war memorial.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davyr View Post
    By the same token, traditional German folk music became so closely associated with the Nazis that it was suppressed and is (as far as I know) no longer performed. I enjoy listening to traditional French, Italian and Spanish folk music and am curious to know if I would also enjoy the German equivalent. I wonder if it will ever re-emerge?

My German teacher was Jewess who had escaped from Germany before the War, but it did not stop her from teaching us Wenn die Soldaten.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by peter nicholl View Post
    My German teacher was Jewess who had escaped from Germany before the War, but it did not stop her from teaching us Wenn die Soldaten.
    Interesting, but that's a German army marching song from WWI. The sort of music I'm talking about is the equivalent of our morris/country dance tunes and traditional songs like Claudy Banks, Nutting Girl, etc. that date back (in some cases) to the 18th century.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast