Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davyr View Post
    Interesting, but that's a German army marching song from WWI. The sort of music I'm talking about is the equivalent of our morris/country dance tunes and traditional songs like Claudy Banks, Nutting Girl, etc. that date back (in some cases) to the 18th century.
    As it's "in some cases" and as the German version dates back to pre-1830s, does it count as a folk song?
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by peter nicholl View Post
    As it's "in some cases" and as the German version dates back to pre-1830s, does it count as a folk song?
    I suppose it could do - in the UK, there is much debate about what constitutes a traditional folk song. If the original composer is "anon", that usually counts! The fact remains though that I can listen to as much traditional French, Italian and Spanish folk music as I like, but the German material is very hard to find and "not encouraged". I believe traditional Serbian folk music has suffered in the same way as a result of its promotion during the wars of the 1990s between the constituent parts of the former Yugoslavia.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12