Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Going back to your first post, was the address on Dorothy's birth certificate the only reason for saying that Violet was living on Mill Lane?
    Yes, unfortunately I don't have any info to go on.

Super Moderator

If you haven't already looked, there is some interesting info. on the web about The Workhouse, Eastry, including photographs. Also I was looking at Google Maps at Mill Lane, Eastry and wonder if the derelict building is part of the old workhouse. (It's next to the Fire Station) if you have a look.

I've just checked the Workhouse site for inmate registers, but we're unlikely to find anything yet. It says HERE that many repositories operate the usual 100 year limit on publication, and the list of records they show is not hopeful...

Not sure if you have this?

1911, 23 Duke Street, Deal, Kent, RG14; PIece 4571; RDN 64
    All born Deal except Elizabeth born Sandwich
    Henry Morris 31, bricklayer's labourer
    Elizabeth Morris 34. Married 12 yrs, 9children born alive, 8 still living
    Henry Morris 12
    Florie Morris 11
    Edith Morris 9
    Violet Morris 6
    John Morris 5
    Elsie Morris 3
    Charles Morris 1
    Eva Morris 1/12
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post

Henry Morris 12
    Florie Morris 11
    Edith Morris 9
    Violet Morris 6
    John Morris 5
    Elsie Morris 3
    Charles Morris 1
    Eva Morris 1/12
    If Violet is indeed a local girl (and she may not be) then the two most likely options are Violet May b 1904 Deal as shown above and Violet Elgar Morris b 1908 just before her mother's marriage to Walter Elgar. She appears as Violet Elgar in 1911 and appears to marry as Violet Elgar.
    So this makes the Violet in the census almach found above, the more likely of the two.

There is a death of a Violet M Morris age 55 in 1959 Dover reg dist(correct for Deal at that date) which could be worth checking.

Famous for offering help & advice

Great minds & all that, as this is the same family I was looking at - born as Violet May Morris mmn Blackburn.

A quick search on Google Maps puts Duke Street, Deal about 1/4 mile from Northwall Road, if that.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I've just checked the Workhouse site for inmate registers, but we're unlikely to find anything yet. It says HERE that many repositories operate the usual 100 year limit on publication, and the list of records they show is not hopeful...
    Yes I too came across that fact.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post

Henry Morris 12
    Florie Morris 11
    Edith Morris 9
    Violet Morris 6
    John Morris 5
    Elsie Morris 3
    Charles Morris 1
    Eva Morris 1/12
    I too found that, I didn't know about Deal. I always wondered why she never showed up on any census.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    If Violet is indeed a local girl (and she may not be) then the two most likely options are Violet May b 1904 Deal as shown above and Violet Elgar Morris b 1908 just before her mother's marriage to Walter Elgar. She appears as Violet Elgar in 1911 and appears to marry as Violet Elgar.
    So this makes the Violet in the census almach found above, the more likely of the two.

There is a death of a Violet M Morris age 55 in 1959 Dover reg dist(correct for Deal at that date) which could be worth checking.
    The thing is, Violet appears not to have a middle name on the census and no middle name on Dorothy's birth certificate either. I am told she died rather young, potentially early 1940s but nobody knows how accurate that is.

Especially in the workhouses, childbirth was very commonly associated with death - not always immediately.That wouldn’t explain the lack of a paper trail.

People often didn’t use their middle names, or if they didn’t like their forenames, then they might only use their forename.

I’ve been postponing saying this, but in many communities, unmarried motherhood was a great disgrace and daughters were often sent off to have their baby where they weren’t known. She wouldn’t be the first to have her baby under a different name..

That “of no occupation” is still bothering me - it’s very unusual. They usually mentioned whatever job the person was trained for - eg “housemaid, not employed”. If she wasn’t refusing to say (maybe to avoid identification) how was she feeding herself?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast