Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Thanks, that's very useful to know. Is there a way of finding out who was listed in the workhouse and why?

Famous for offering help & advice

Kent History and Library Centre appear to have some records of Eastry workhouse mentioned in their online catalogue. You would would need to contact them to see if they have any records of Violet.

Also you mention writing on Dorothy's birth certificate which you could not read. If you are able to upload that small snippet here someone may be able to make sense of it. I think that is allowed. Note you are not allowed to upload a whole certificate.

Some Workhouses also served as a sort of nursing home for the poor - she may have just gone in for help having the baby, or might have lived there for longer. For many people, these places were the last resort before starvation, for others it was a temporary solution. My Great Grandfather ended up in one one the day after his wife’s funeral. The parish council sent him because he could not care for himself - as a lifelong shoe maker, his hands were completely crippled.

The best site for information on Workhouses across England is Peter Higginbothams’s - workhouses.org.uk. Where lists of occupiers are available, this is where I would start looking.

I understand that you’re looking for Violet, but sometimes if all lines seem to be drying up, it helps to look for a close relative or two to get fresh leads!

Re uploading bits of certificates, include the entry you can’t read plus a bit either side for comparison. Keep the file clear enough to be read, but our system will reject very big files.

Starting to feel at home

That's brilliant. I'll get the sample uploaded.

At the top of the Finding Your Feet forum, you’ll find a message from Christanel giving instructions on how to load photos.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you

Starting to feel at home

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by V6FAZ! View Post

I am wondering about The Bungalow North Wall, Deal? There is a North Wall Road in Deal.
    But I will keep looking!

For the second one I think The Occupier 2 Mill Lane Eastry , probably someone in charge at the workhouse or workhouse infirmary

Going back to your first post, was the address on Dorothy's birth certificate the only reason for saying that Violet was living on Mill Lane?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast