Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haymarket 1876

Reputation beyond repute

he's just described as 'oilman' on his daughter's marriage record, he was involved in in selling oil for lamps and possibly paint too.

oil and colourman, oilman
    sells retail, from shop or store, oils, paints, candles, hardware, brushes, cleaning materials, etc.; cf. chandler.

[from A Dictionary of Occupational Terms Based on the Classification of Occupations used in the Census of Population, 1921]

Thank you very much.

Thanks very much Alma, must admit I've had real problem sifting through all the Browns! I did see the 1871 census with James but discounted it thinking I'd got the wrong person but looking at it more closely it's definitely them. I also found the 1861 census and the births of the children that you referenced above but can't see the Draper name mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    London Metropolitan Marriages
    Parish Church of St mark, Old Street
    11 September 1853
    John Brown, full age, bachelor, Porter, 40 Featherstone St, father George Brown, laborer
    Mary Draper, full age, spinster, 40 Featherstone St, father William Draper, laborer
    Witnesses - Charles Kemp, Hannah J George(?)

1851 Census (ref HO107 1503 116 41)
    Address - 6 Church Row, St Mary Stoke Newington, Hackney
    Mary Draper, single, age 25, Servant, born Baldock, Herts
    Thank you for this, huge help and very interesting!

I also found the 1861 census and the births of the children that you referenced above but can't see the Draper name mentioned.
    Hi Blois,

I use the GRO site in combination with FreeBMD. The GRO lists MMN, when MMN is left blank it usually means an illegitimate birth.

You need to register with the GRO which is free. Once registered and logged in scroll to "
    Search the GRO Indexes" click on "birth" and fill in the necessary boxes

https://www.gov.uk/general-register-office (go to "order certificates online, then follow above instructions)
    Alma

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Blois1402 View Post
    I can't find her on an 1871 census, Mary Brown isn't the easiest of names to research. There is a possible match in Limehouse in 1871 but her father's name on that is shown as James and not John (as stated on marriage certificate), so not sure. Her first husband Thomas William Pucill died in 1878 and she then remarried in 1880 to Francis Frederick James Billot.

I just wondered what she was doing living at 18 Haymarket at the time of her marriage when she was from Poplar/Limehouse area, she's not shown as living at 18 Haymarket on 1871 or 1881 census so I think I can only assume she was working there as a general domestic at the time of her marriage- for John Ingoldby Sowter who was a saddler and living there at the time. I've found the banns read out at St Martin in the Fields and as somebody else mentioned, you only had to live in an area for 3 weeks prior to the marriage to get married in that church.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm new to forums so not sure if I'm responding in the right way so apologies if not.

I can see that they married in St. Martin's but there is no parish or church on the banns certificate. Are banns read in BOTH parishes of bride and groom?

Probable baptism? (FMP baptisms - transcript only) -

John Brown, bap 25 Dec 1831, born 21 Nov (year not transcribed), parish Wingfield St Andrew, abode Wingfield, father George, a laborer, mother Hannah

1841 Census (ref - HO107 1026 11 15 24)
    George Brown, age 40, Ag lab, born in County (Suffolk)
    Hannah Brown, age 41, born in County (Suffolk)
    Robert 14, Susannah 12, John 10, Henry 7, Alfred 4, Sarah 2 - all born in County (Suffolk)
    Address - Abbey Farm, Wingfield, Hoxne

1851 Census (ref - HO107 1796 124 9)
    George/Hannah + family but not including John Brown - proving somewhat elusive.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12