Thread: Polly and Mary

Starting to feel at home

Default Polly and Mary

I have the correct birth cert that says Polly.
    I have the correct marriage cert that says Mary.
    Was there something about the turn of the century whereby nicknames were frowned upon and people changed?
    Thanks you
    Ken

Famous for offering help & advice

It is only in today's world of Big Brother that we get "hung up" about people's names - and having the same name all your life certainly makes it easier to progress in a career, earn a pension, etc., but it is still true that you can call yourself whatever you want to (unless it is for criminal reasons).

"Polly" and "Mary" are variations of the same name.

Unfortunately, some names develop associations.

"Queen Mary" sounds perfectly respectable but would the public take "Queen Polly" seriously?

Perhaps the child Polly grew up and wanted to be treated like an adult!

Jane

Reputation beyond repute

Polly was a nickname for Mary Ann (Jack the Ripper's first victim was a Mary Ann known as Polly). Eventually Polly became a forename in its own right.

No doubt people got confused about their "real" forenames. Many headaches have been caused by ancestors who had a crisis of identity about their " real" surnames. As Jane pointed out, people's "real" names were the names they used.

Some people were given their grandparents' forenames at baptism, but used a middle or nickname.

I know of 2 people who were baptised Margaret and called Polly... Early 19th century, Scotland/England Border.