Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Since none of us seem to be able to find them on Anc, perhaps they've missed a page or there's a major mis-transcription. i did try Low as well as Law...

Then I saw Jomot's post.
    It wouldn't be the first time they've missed a page!

Super Moderator

I think it stands a good chance that the family travelled and lived overseas. Might be able to find some travel info.

As Moulmein was the headquarters of Amherst District in Lower Burma during the British period. I wonder if Amherst is anything to do with the Amhurst name of Mary. (Looks like it was!)

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I can officially confirm that Ancestry have lost it. (The 1911 census entry that is.)

It doesn't help that the number indexing on FS is rubbish, and that whoever wrote Trevor's name on the household schedule was useless at writing. If it was Trevor himself I doubt many people hired him for his occupational skills which are supposedly 'secretarial work'.

The 'correct' census reference for the Law household is RG14/128 SN482. (128 being the piece number.)

Additional details which should help find the entry on Ancestry are
    Registration District Number 2
    ED, institution, or vessel 41
    Sub-registration district 1

But even restricting the details to only those numbers (i.e. excluding the piece number which is specific to the Law household) brings up zero results.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

thank you to everyone, as always.
    sorry to involve so many people.

There’s a Blanche Law Warren,amended in brackets on transcription to Julia Warren 17/April/1887,widow.
    Living in the same household in Harpenden as:
    Albert H Evenett
    Gerladys M Evenett
    Grace C Boltwood
    Derek Boltwood

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    There’s a Blanche Law Warren,amended in brackets on transcription to Julia Warren 17/April/1887,widow.
    Living in the same household in Harpenden as:
    Albert H Evenett
    Gerladys M Evenett
    Grace C Boltwood
    Derek Boltwood
    thank you

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    thank you to everyone, as always.
    sorry to involve so many people.
    No problem. Obviously there were a lot of us either at a loose end anyway, or else stuck indoors until it stopped raining.
    Consider it payment for all the help you give to people.

Re Julia's change of surname, she might have married more than once, so the marriage to Warren would then have been as Julia Smith/whatever. Having said that, the only marriage of a plain Julia Law with no middle initial that FreeBMD have is to Cecil Wiloughby (one L) in 1912, Paddington registration district.
    A plain Blanche Law married in Rotherham registration district in June quarter 1911. The other three Blanche Law marriages currently showing on FreeBMD all have a middle initial which isn't J.

Other alternatives to consider - she married abroad, or else she never married, just took the Warren surname and then called herself a widow when her other half died/ran away.

Hopefully by this time next year the 1921 census will have been released and you may be able to get the riddle solved.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    No problem. Obviously there were a lot of us either at a loose end anyway, or else stuck indoors until it stopped raining.
    Consider it payment for all the help you give to people.

Re Julia's change of surname, she might have married more than once, so the marriage to Warren would then have been as Julia Smith/whatever. Having said that, the only marriage of a plain Julia Law with no middle initial that FreeBMD have is to Cecil Wiloughby (one L) in 1912, Paddington registration district.
    A plain Blanche Law married in Rotherham registration district in June quarter 1911. The other three Blanche Law marriages currently showing on FreeBMD all have a middle initial which isn't J.

Other alternatives to consider - she married abroad, or else she never married, just took the Warren surname and then called herself a widow when her other half died/ran away.

Hopefully by this time next year the 1921 census will have been released and you may be able to get the riddle solved.

Pam

thank you for that. I hadn't considered those possibilities.

by the way, in the event anybody researches this family in the future, Mary Law and her children Wyndham, Gladys and Julia are on the 1891 census at Brighton but Ancestry has transcribed their surname as Whiting who was their neighbour.

Mary A Whiting - born 1851 Rochonpton - "wife" - but not wife of Charles Whiting. Mary's husband absent.
    Wynetham Whiting - born 1883 - London (Wyndham)
    Gloster Whiting - born 1886 - Bauenmouth (Gladys)
    Julia B Whiting - born 1888 - Brighton

residence Brighton, piece 814; folio 119

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    Mary A Whiting - born 1851 Rochonpton - "wife" - but not wife of Charles Whiting. Mary's husband absent.
    Wynetham Whiting - born 1883 - London (Wyndham)
    Gloster Whiting - born 1886 - Bauenmouth (Gladys)
    Julia B Whiting - born 1888 - Brighton
    stupid me, thats how the names have been transcribed by Ancestry, not how they actually appear on the page.

Mary A Law
    Wyndham Law
    Gladys Law
    Julia B Law

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast