Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile Hello From Melbourne

Recently retired and unable to take the trips planned due to Covid, I am using the time to research my family. My mum is still fit and well at 90 years of age and living in Suffolk. I moved to Melbourne in 1999. We are very interested in the Kemp side of my family. I know very little about it. My Father was Albert Ernest Died as as result of a car accident in 1979. My Grandfather was Ernest (died in 1933 aged 41) My Great Grandfather I believe his name was Samuel and only know that from my Grandfathers marriage certificate. Hoping I can shed some light. I will also start reading up on how to best research things. I think this group will be a good find. The other names I am looking into is Ruffles and Newson
    Cheers
    Sharon

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kempie22 View Post
    Recently retired and unable to take the trips planned due to Covid, I am using the time to research my family. My mum is still fit and well at 90 years of age and living in Suffolk. I moved to Melbourne in 1999. We are very interested in the Kemp side of my family. I know very little about it. My Father was Albert Ernest Died as as result of a car accident in 1979. My Grandfather was Ernest (died in 1933 aged 41) My Great Grandfather I believe his name was Samuel and only know that from my Grandfathers marriage certificate. Hoping I can shed some light. I will also start reading up on how to best research things. I think this group will be a good find. The other names I am looking into is Ruffles and Newson
    Cheers
    Sharon

I lived in Melbourne for 8 years in the 1980's so know it quite well. Still in contact with friends there so hear all about your latest Lockdowns.

Have a friend's tree that contains a lot of Ruffles. Her maiden name was Ruffle, she came from Birmingham, wonder if there could be a connection? Do you have access to Ancestry? Any idea where your father and grandfather were born?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Sharon,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I'm assuming that your father is the Albert Ernest who was born in 1928 (there were two Albert Ernests who died in 1979, but only one in Suffolk.)
    If so, then in the 1939 Register he's living in Aldeburgh with his mother Ellen, whose birthdate is said to be 8 November 1886.
    Your father's birth registration in Plomesgate registration district
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/plomesgate.html
    says his mother's maiden name was Jackson which would tie in with a marriage in the same registration district December quarter 1926 between Ernest Kemp and Ellen Jackson.

So far, so good. Ernest then becomes a little harder to nail down.
    Working back from a death aed 41 in 1933 means that he should have been born in 1892. That gives a choice of twelve Ernests, most of them with second names, but none born in Suffolk.
    So to Plan B, and searching the 1901 census for an Ernest Kemp living with a Samuel Kemp.
    Findmypast (FMP) only give one option, and Samuel is an engine fitter. Does this fit with his occupation on Ernest's marriage certificate?

At this particular moment, these details are advisory only, but it will save me (or anyone else!) having to look them up again.
    1901 census
    Reference RG13/568 folio 95 page 56
    Living in Woolwich.
    Samuel Kemp, 37, engine fitter,(transcribed on FMP as Hampshire, but from the badly-spelt birth town and the 1911 census more likely to be St Neots, Huntingdonshire)
    Elizabeth, 37, Hackney
    Gladys [S ?, possibly L] E, daur, 10, Maidstone
    Ernest G, son, 8, Limehouse
    Norah A, daur, 6, Limehouse
    Amy E, daur, 6, Limehouse
    Edith C, daur, 2, Poplar
    Alice G, daur, 2 Poplar

Same family in 1911.
    Census reference RG14/2879 SN247
    Living Elizabeth Street, North Woolwich
    Samuel Kemp, 47, forman (sic) fitter or engineer, St Neots, Huntingdonshire
    Elizabeth, 48, Hackney
    Gladys, daur, 20, Maidstone
    Ernest, son, 18, engineer apprentice, Limehouse
    Norah, daur, 16, Limehouse
    Amy, daur, 16, Limehouse
    Edith, daur, 12, Poplar
    Alice, daur, 12, Poplar

From the GRO's own indexes, the mother's maiden name for the birth registrations of those children is Daniels/Daniel. 1911 census says Samuel and Elizabeth have been married 21 years.
    Marriage on Ancestry.
    Samuel Kemp and Elizabeth Daniels, married at St Giles Cripplegate in the City of London, 22 December 1889.

Always buy BMD certificates direct from the GRO, unless you're lucky and can find marriage certificates online. Birth and death certificates are never online unless someone has uploaded them in a famliy tree.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Without wishing to muddy the waters, in 1911 FMP have another Ernest Kemp, living with a Samuel Kemp in St Pancras. Census reference RG14/677 SN450. Not going to type out all the details because the family look complicated, but Samuel and Ernest were both general labourers.

Based on Ernest's birthplace of Hampstead in 1911, this is probably him in 1901, living with his mother and two brothers in Hampstead. RG13/122 folio 81 page 12.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam
    Wow. Thanks for the information. I am pretty sure you are on the right track. Mum has the Marriage certificate of Ernest and Ellen so I will get her to review the information regarding Samuel. Albert Ernest was my dad and died in a vehicle accident when I was 19. It does also say that his dad was a widower when he married Ellen so there is another side there! I really appreciate the help and will review again when information we have. Mum is 90 so will be very happy to find out more about dad. Kindest regards Sharon