Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default James Robert Greer born 1856 & a Deserter

Looking for information about James Robert Greer, born 23 Nov. 1856, Cty Armagh, baptized 8 Nov 1857 in the Diocese of Armagh, Mullaghbrack Parish at St. John's church of Ireland. Father's name believed to be James and mother Frances J. He came to the US in 1880.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Deserters

Is there any way to access enlistment records for UK military deserters? I am looking for additional information on a James Greer, born Armagh 1856, who deserted on 12 Jul 1880 from the Highland Bdrs in Stirling. Reg. #5695.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello elimor812,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

We allow only one thread per person because otherwise there is confusion as well as duplicated research (the latter causing wasted time).

I have therefore merged your two posts into one thread, and given them a new title, which I think may be more relevant. I can, however, either give the thread a new title and/or move it to another forum. You only have say.

I'm not a lot of good with military stuff and have about the same level of expertise with Irish records.
    However I did try to search online for James' baptism, but with no success. Have you seen a copy of the entry in the parish register? If so, is it online?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by elimor812 View Post
    Looking for information about James Robert Greer, born 23 Nov. 1856, Cty Armagh, baptized 8 Nov 1857 in the Diocese of Armagh, Mullaghbrack Parish at St. John's church of Ireland. Father's name believed to be James and mother Frances J. He came to the US in 1880.
    There is a tree on Ancestry which includes a James Robert Greer, born 23 November 1856 in Armagh and died 1 January 1941 in Chicago. Married Mary Miller 18 Feb 1892 in Cook, Ill. Is this your tree?

There are quite a few entries for James Robert Greer in the USA

Super Moderator

Do I have the correct entry for his arrival in the USA - Departure Port: Glasgow, arrived 17 November 1879 - New York. Ship name: Ethiopia. Age 23. Name of Robb.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    There is a tree on Ancestry which includes a James Robert Greer, born 23 November 1856 in Armagh and died 1 January 1941 in Chicago. Married Mary Miller 18 Feb 1892 in Cook, Ill. Is this your tree?

There are quite a few entries for James Robert Greer in the USA
    Yes- that is my tree. I have all the US info, but cannot find him on any site in Ireland.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I don't think so. Story is he came over on a banana boat- have no idea if that is true.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by elimor812 View Post
    I don't think so. Story is he came over on a banana boat- have no idea if that is true.
    Do you mean that literally? Perhaps he did not leave from the UK or Ireland.