Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craig

Loves to help with queries

Default Craig

I am trying to research Elizabeth Craig, daughter of Capt William Henry Craig and Jane (nee McGill). Elizabeth married John Jardine in 1837 and landed in Australia about 1840. I would particularly like to know the parish where she was born. Thank you.

Forgot to sat Elizabeth was born about 1818, and William Henry Craig born in Devon according to some websites.

Growing old Disgracefully

Posted in Belfast newspaper Name: Elizabeth Craig
    Notice Type: Marriage
    Marriage Date: 23 Aug 1837
    Marriage Place: Kirkcubbin
    Father: William H Craig
    Spouse: John Jardine
    Publication Date: 25 Aug 1837

Elizabeth was the youngest daughter of W H Craig, Esq formaley of Mase, county Down
    John Jardine Esq. of the First Royal Reginment and son of the Late Sir Alexander Jardine

If Eliz is described as daughter of WH Craig formerly of Mase, (Mace?) County Down, would that mean WHC was born in County Down, or that was where he was living when Eliz married? Or does it mean Elizabeth was in County Down.

Records that far back can sometimes be a bit ambiguous, but in this case I think it's "former registered abode" (the Churches often did the registering). It needs a bit more digging.

Kircubbin is in County Down, so it seems as though she was married in the area. When was WHC described as " formerly"?

What sort of Captain was WHC? Army? Sea?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JandL View Post
    I am trying to research Elizabeth Craig, daughter of Capt William Henry Craig and Jane (nee McGill). Elizabeth married John Jardine in 1837 and landed in Australia about 1840. I would particularly like to know the parish where she was born. Thank you.
    There is a query on RootsChat regarding Captain William Henry Craig (Royal Navy). Did you write this query? (It's not the same as your name)

Growing old Disgracefully

If you google Captain william Henry Craig there is a lot of infomation about him Craig was from a Scottish family who moved to Ireland to escape the persecution of the Presbyterians by James I, settled at Dungannon, Ireland.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JandL View Post
    If you search on line for Captain William Henry Craig, there is quite a lot of info. including stuff about John Jardine and Elizabeth, also their children.

I note you name the mother as Jane Mcgill. Spotted the following -

Belfast Commercial Chronicle, 28 Jan 1807
    MARRIED
    At Hillsborough, on Monday 26th inst, William Henry Craig, of the Royal Marines, Esq., to Miss Ellen Magill, second daughter of William Magill, of Hillsborough, Esq.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thank you so much to all who have endeavoured to answer my question. I see Hillsborough is in County Down Ireland (am I improving my geography knowledge!!). So unlikely my Craigs are English despite one website stating Devon as b.place of WH Craig. I had hoped the birthplace of Elizabeth (possibly Elizabeth Jane Craig)would have something to do with the name of Endsleigh (or the many variations of that name). And yes I have searched the Jardine side, but it is Elizabeth I am most interested in. Will concede defeat, but again, thanks to all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast