Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Smile Hill family... Wolverhampton

I have just returned to my maternal grandmothers family to see if i can overcome the hurdle i got stuck on. My grandmother was born in Coseley in1894 the daughter of Thomas and Mary Hill...Thomas was the son of Thomas and Elizabeth born inWolverhampton in 1866...and that Thomas is the son of William and Sarah born 1839 in Wolverhampton...

I am not sure exactly what is your brickwall?

Just as a basis from which to work when you tell us where you are stuck here is the 1871 census.
    RG10 Piece 2953 Folio 125 Page 26
    Rough Hills Bilston
    Thomas Hill 32 ?? miner Wolverhampton
    Elizabeth Hill 32 Wolverhampton
    Eliza Hill 7 Bilston
    Thomas Hill 4 Bilston
    Fanny Hill 1 Bilston

Is Elizabeth's maiden name Jones?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

1851 HO107 Piece 2019 Folio 637 Page 26
    Beladon? road Wolverhampton
    William Hill 37 Coal miner
    Sarah Hill 30
    Thomas Hill 12
    John Hill 6
    Fanney Hill 5
    Sarah Hill 15
    All born Wolverhampton

1841 HO107 Piece 993 Book 2 Folio 23 Page 13
    Trentham
    William Hill 25 ag lab
    Sarah Hill 25
    Susannah Hill 3
    Thomas Hill 1
    John Hill 15
    Elizabeth Hotton 45
    All born in county

Sarah's maiden name Davis?

Christina
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Sarahs maiden name was Thomas. 1841 Monmore Green, 1851 also Monmore Green.

Groundhopper,

Can you please explain where you are stuck, what is the hurdle you mention?
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

sorry i had edited my post but it does not appear to have registered...my daughter posted by accident...so Thomas was the son of William and sarah (Thomas) who married in Wolverhampton in December 1837. Williams father is shown as John...Backhouse i think who like William is a miner. It gives his age as 24 and i have the family on the 1841 and 51 census where he says he is 25 and 37...i have not got them on later censuses or deaths probably due to them being Hills...but i have found a possible baptism in Wolverhampton in october 1813 to William son of Frances a coal lander. I havent found her or John Backhouse on the census so dont know whether she is the mother and he the father or what....that is my brickwall as i would love to be able to go back further on this line...any help or advice would be appreciated. Just as a note Sarah Thomas is the daughter of Richard Thomas also a miner and also still alive in 1837 but no joy on that family either...

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The obvious question raised by your post #6 is - if you can't find people on censuses after 1851, how do you know the people in the later censuses are their descendants? Hill is not exactly a rare name.

I thought I'd see if William Hill and Sarah Thomas' marriage certificate was online.
    Yes, it is, on FMP. BUT, the register used is the 'old-style' one, not the one which should have been used after 1 July 1837 when civil registration began.
    So the information contained in the PR says parish of Wolverhampton (St Peter) in the county of Stafford, William Hill, of this parish, bachelor, and Sarah Thomas, of this parish, spinster, were married in this church by banns on 25 December 1837 .
    Clergyman F or J Boyle; witnesses (who witnessed the other five marriages available in the image) were C H Boyle and John Biddulph.

Do you have a copy of the marriage certificate which gives the information about William and Sarah's ages and their father's names?

FamilySearch has those extra details, but sadly has no information as to where the information came from, or where it can be found. However, I have found that if I keep clicking on enough links that it says I can access the parish registers on FMP. I therefore have come to the conclusion that those extra details have been submitted, and are based on other records not on information in the original marriage certificate.
    It is very unusual to find ages on the early civil registration marriage certificates. Even in the early 1850s you usually only find 'of full age' or 'minor'.

Those 'extra details' found on FamilySearch and which allegedly pertain to the marriage certificate say that William was 24, and his father was John Blackham. Sarah was 21 and her father was Richard Thomas. No mention of occupations.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhopper View Post
    Sarahs maiden name was Thomas. 1841 Monmore Green, 1851 also Monmore Green.
    Where the heck is Monmore Green?
    If you want us to help you then you'll have to give us a bit more information. Ideally a census reference.

Christina has posted census details for what might be your family in 1841 and 1851 and 1871 in posts 2 and 3.
    Are any of them correct?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Where the heck is Monmore Green?
    If you want us to help you then you'll have to give us a bit more information. Ideally a census reference.

Christina has posted census details for what might be your family in 1841 and 1851 and 1871 in posts 2 and 3.
    Are any of them correct?

Pam
    The 1841 I posted is not correct if the family living at Monmore Green is the one mentioned by grasshopper
    from familysearch.org this record index says Monmore Green and the original image gives that address for all the people on the page.
    HO107 piece 999 folio 26 Page 15 book 13
    Monmore Green, Wolverhampton
    William Hill 25 Miner Born in county? YES
    Sarah Hill 20 NO
    Thomas Hill 2 Yes
    John Williams 20 Miner NO

HILL, THOMAS Mother's maiden name THOMAS
    GRO Reference: 1839 March 1/4 registration district The Wolverhampton Union Vol 17 Page 349
    William Burroughs

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Yes I do.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast