Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Searching for WM Dodds

Hello there, I have recently come into possession of a set of medals, and would love to trace the owner’s family, or find out some details at least. The medals were passed on to my mother (aged 97), by her mother, who apparently acquired them as in lieu payment for board and lodging (according to the family story!). I live in Australia, as did my grandmother (though she was born in England). The medals belong to WM Dodds, service number 2906EA. His details, as much as I can determine from the medals, were - Rank ERA, 2nd class, and unit, Royal Naval Reserve. The medals are The 1939-1945 Star, The Africa Star (with North Africa 1942-43clasp, and a small rosette), Thé France and Germany Star, The British War Medal 1939-1945, The Royal Navy Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. I’d be grateful for any assistance. Cheers, Julie

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Julie, welcome to BritGen.

There is a service record at The National Archives with that service number in the name of William Marshall Dodds, born 1910.

I’ve downloaded the record (free at present!) which is very extensive and detailed. It will take a while to decipher, to ensure that we have the right man.

To start with, there is this birth record:

William M Dodds Q4 1910 Newcastle upon Tyne Vol 10B Page 40 mothers maiden name Marshall (which matches exactly the info on the service record).

I’ll post again soon.

Peter

Service record has wife’s name Edna
    Wiiliam M Dodds married Edna Smith in 1940 Cleethorpes, Q1 7A 2339.

Service record gives 7 Newbury Avenue, Great Coates, Grimsby, as one of several addresses.

1939 Register has an Edna Smith, b. 18.12.1915, living with parents at 5 Newbury Avenue. Edna’s surname has been amended to Dodds.

Peter

There is a public family tree on Ancestry with William Marshall Dodds at various addresses in Australia from 1958 onward and his death in Sale, Victoria in 1976.

He is shown as married with one child but as the wife and child are shown as ‘private’, no deaths have yet been recorded.

I have asked the tree owner for assistance.

Peter

One of WMD’s descendants has sent a very positive reply.

WMD’s son is approaching 80 years of age and the family feel that he will be delighted to have his father’s medals returned to him, which they hope will be as an 80th birthday present.

More later.

Peter

Oh Wow Peter you have been busy and with wonderful results. I look forward to reading your next posts.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Dear Peter, A wonderful conclusion to my search for the owner of the medals. The medals belonging to WM Dodds are now safely in the hands of his granddaughter. She is delighted to have this connection with a grandfather she never knew. I am so very grateful to you for taking on my somewhat vague request on this site for information. You have certainly enabled the medals to be returned to their rightful owners - from Bendigo, Australia to Warwick, UK - and have facilitated a lovely ending to the story. Many thanks, Julie

Thanks for letting us know - success stories are always welcome!
    Well done Peter and Julie.