Default Can anyone translate a French document?

Please see here. https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...ertiser)/page2
    If you can help please post on the linked thread
    Thank you

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

What a swizz.

I've just seen the request, galloped over to the thread (document is in post #45), and have been thoroughly beaten in my desire to show off what remains of my (somewhat ancient ) school-girl French.

A resume of the main points of the document, as opposed to a literal translation, is in post #52.
    I don't know if anyone with a knowledge of French documents might be able to add a little more.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

You have the relevant facts. The document is more difficult to read than translate. Cannot make out certain words.
    It's a standard format of an Acte de Naissance (birth certificate)and reads -

Eighteen thirty nine, on 20 November at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, before us deputy delegate of the mayor of Amiens, performing the function of an officer of the Etat Civil, appeared Ira Lawton, aged 28, foreman of spinning (contre maitre de filature)residing the suburb of Hem, Amiens who has presented to us a child of the male sex born in his home today at 4.45 in the morning and with him appeared Mary Ann Wolstenholme aged 23, his wife and to which child he has declared the given name Ira; the said presentation and declaration made in the presence of William Twentow, age 32, mechanic, residing suburb of Hem, Amiens and Joseph Lenty, age 39, copper moulder, residing the same suburb number 38; and after reading the present certificate (acte) the father and witnesses have signed with us.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    You have the relevant facts. The document is more difficult to read than translate. Cannot make out certain words.
    It's a standard format and reads
    Eighteen thirty nine, on 20 November at 3 o'clock --------, appeared before us deputy delegate of the mayor of Amiens ....... officer of the Etat Civil, appeared Ira Lawton, aged 28, foreman of spinning (contre maitre de filature)residing the suburb of Hem, Amiens who has presented to us a child of the male sex born in his home today at 4.45 in the morning and has appeared Mrs Mary Ann Wolstenholme aged 23, his wife and has declared the given name Ira;........ presentation and declaration in the presence of William Twentow, age 32, mechanic, residing suburb of Hem, Amiens and Joseph Lenty, age 39, copper moulder, residing the same suburb number 38; and after ............... the presentation the father and witnesses have signed with us.
    Thank you! I was really hoping for a full transcription of the document if possible, and you have gone above and beyond! I meant to reply earlier, but forgot!

Croeso/you're welcome.
    The Somme records are available free on line. I'd intended checking others around your Ira's for a more legible register entry to fill in the missing "officialese" if possible.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Croeso/you're welcome.
    The Somme records are available free on line. I'd intended checking others around your Ira's for a more legible register entry to fill in the missing "officialese" if possible.
    Do the Somme records have census entries or the likes? I think father Ira left before 1852 or so.

My cousin would be able to read "coreso" straight away, as probablly my grandfather if he was here, though you already provided the translation, as you did with the French.How many languages can you speak?! I live in Japan (currently) and barely get by.

Again thanks!

Reputation beyond repute

I think father Ira left before 1852 or so.
    No later than 1848, I would guess.