Question moving around the country in 1891

From my search for family members,
    in 1891 at the age of 50+ my great grandad ( a master baker) left his wife and family in Plymouth to go and live with an illiterate 27 year old laundry worker in Penge ( hardly the centre of the universe).
    Could anyone please shed light on how or why this may be the case,considering most people lived their whole lives within a few miles of where they were born.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I think you may have the wrong person, but I have stuff to sort and post in your other thread before I can prove it.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by bellfamily View Post
    Could anyone please shed light on how or why this may be the case,considering most people lived their whole lives within a few miles of where they were born.
    That's a huge assumption which may not be correct.

People moved for work - the industrial revolution drew people from rural communities to the cities - sailors went where their ships went - workers in the Royal Naval Dockyards moved from dockyard to dockyard - there are many more examples.

My own gt gt grandmother sometime in the 1850s moved from the Welsh border near Oswestry to Tetbury in Gloucestershire - and I guess that was for work - she was probably in service. There she met and married her future husband a policeman from Tewksbury who had been a silk weaver. To cut a long story short they travelled back up the Welsh border, across to Aberystwyth and then on up to a small village just south of Caernarfon, where they remained for the rest of their lives. My gt gt grandfather even learnt to speak Welsh in the process.

Yes. My multi-great grandmother was a farm worker in the NE of Scotland. In the summer, a group would get together and head down to the Border with England, where they'd sign up to bring the harvest in. When finished, they'd move north a bit, and repeat the process, arriving home in time to harvest for the farms they lived on. One year, my multi-great got halfway home and met a young man...
    Reader, she married him!

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Yes. My multi-great grandmother was a farm worker in the NE of Scotland. In the summer, a group would get together and head down to the Border with England, where they'd sign up to bring the harvest in. When finished, they'd move north a bit, and repeat the process, arriving home in time to harvest for the farms they lived on. One year, my multi-great got halfway home and met a young man...
    Reader, she married him!
    I do love a Happy Ending.

Jane

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by bellfamily View Post
    most people lived their whole lives within a few miles of where they were born.
    I agree with Megan, that's a huge assumption and not necessarily true. Checking the 1891 census for my own Great Grandparents, only 3 of the 8 were living anywhere near where they were born.