Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Because I can't find a suitable death registration for an Ira Lawton I started searching for a John Lawton death in Middlesex 1855 onwards. There are only two
    LAWTON, JOHN age 79 (too old born c1781)
    June 1/4 Quarter 1860 reg dist ISLINGTON Vol 1b Page 156

LAWTON, JOHN age 58 (again too old bon c1803 although discrepancies in ages do occur)
    Dec 1/4 1861 WESTMINSTER Vol 1a Page 210

I changed the birthdate criteria on FreeBMD and this one turned up which is closer to the birth date.
    Deaths June 1/4 1891
    John Lawton age 77 reg dist Bethnal Green vol 1c page 208

Any of these could of course just be 'true' John Lawtons and not Ira in disguise. At this stage I am leaning towards Ira always using the name Ira and somewhere along the way it has been mangled but where is he after 1855?
    Christina
    Yes, I'm wondering too. I searched both John and Ira and found nothing. Right now, I'm trying to find any records of Ira and his second wife Sarah, but not much at the moment.

It's odd that there doesn't seem to be any mention of Ira after his son died in 1856. Even after the two convictions in the newspapers, I'd expect to see prison records at least.

I just realised, that in William Lawton's marriage certificate, he has his father listed as deceased. So Ira must have died some time before 1872.

Perhapss he assumed a different name, or went abroad.

Going through the later census records of William Lawton, he married Jane Martha Forder (nee Banting), who was a widower. In the '81 census, William is listed as being from London (although in the later ones it's Birmingham). In the '81 and '91 censuses, William is listed as a Victualler, and they are running a public house (in '81 The Traveller's Rest, and in '91 The Royal Oak). In 1899, Jane dies, and in the 1901 census, William is still living with two of his sons, and his step daughter, but is now a marine engine fitter. I guess he must have learnt something from his father.

I also realised that one of Williams sons was mistranscribed in the 1901 census as William J Lawton, when it was William I Lawton. Turns out his middle name was Ira.

I found an Ira Lorden, died at Guy's Hospital, in Southwark 1860. Date of birth is a little off, but I can't find any other records for an Ira Lorden, census, birth, or otherwise.

LORDEN, IRA 45
    GRO Reference: 1860 S Quarter in ST OLAVE SOUTHWARK Volume 01D Page 23

Also another entry has the name as Ira Londen rather than Lorden.

Quote Originally Posted by toaster View Post
    I found an Ira Lorden, died at Guy's Hospital, in Southwark 1860. Date of birth is a little off, but I can't find any other records for an Ira Lorden, census, birth, or otherwise.

LORDEN, IRA 45

Courtesy of Ancestry's "London, England, Church of England Deaths and Burials, 1813-2003"

Ira Londen, Age: 45, Burial, 9 Jul 1860
    Burial Place: Norwood Cemetery, Norwood Road, Lambeth, Lambeth.
    Alma

Ira's address in '41 is "Cheapside, St. Martin, Birmingham"

Pigot's Directory 1842
    Warwickshire - Birmingham &c
    Ira Lawton, beer retailer, 336 Cheapside

An Ira Lawton appears on Manchester Rate Books
    Address - 7 Arundel Street; weekly rental - 3s 9d
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

I decided to search for an Ira Lawton, born in 1811 in Alderley, Cheshire (coressponding to this John Lawton's year and place of birth in that above census), and found a baptism record, which lists an Ira Lawton, baptised in 1811 in Marton, Cheshire (2 hours walk from Alderley). It lists his father as Will Lawton, farmer, and his mother as Sarah. In his second marriage, the certificate describes his father as William Lawton, farmer.
    The original image says abode is "Monks Heath Hall Alderley".
    Alma

LORDEN, IRA 45

I don't like paying out for certificates on a 'maybe' who I am looking for basis but I think this may be one of those times where it needs to be done.
    Like you I can't find any other records for this person although there are a few Lorden/Landen/London/Landon/Lardon people in the area and elsewhere none of them have the first name Ira.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    The original image says abode is "Monks Heath Hall Alderley".
    Interesting! On today's map, Monks' Heath seems to be a hamlet which is considered to be part of Alderley. I just found that a "Monks Heath Hall" went up for sale too; it was a brick barn conversion, so perhaps still there when Ira would have lived there.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast