Thread: national servce

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default national servce

Can anyone help me out. I have a small image of my maternal Grandad in a R.A.F uniform, I have grown up with stories of him being in the R.A.F but was never told of where he served etc I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get National Service records? All help will be GRATELY received.

His name was Joseph McGilp (B) 1927 Victoria St Harthill Scotland.

Thank you for your time on this matter
    Kindest Regards
    Gill

Hello Gill

If you have his death certificate, you can apply to the RAF for his service records. Try this link
    Not sure on the cost, last I heard there was a delay due to the number of applicants

If you do apply for his records (the best source of info, assuming he's no longer alive), they will want his birthdate. I have checked Scotlands People and his birth certificate is too recent to be downloaded. You'd have to either order a hard copy, or visit Scotlands People in Edinburgh (if/when they're open)to get it.
    There's an explanation of how to get his service record HERE.
    As Neil says, there's a delay on records being sent because most of their folk are working from home.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    If you do apply for his records (the best source of info, assuming he's no longer alive), they will want his birthdate. I have checked Scotlands People and his birth certificate is too recent to be downloaded. You'd have to either order a hard copy, or visit Scotlands People in Edinburgh (if/when they're open)to get it.
    There's an explanation of how to get his service record HERE.
    As Neil says, there's a delay on records being sent because most of their folk are working from home.
    Hi Thank you so much, I have hard copies of his B.D.M certs I just don't know where to write/email to get his national service rec's.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
    Hello Gill

If you have his death certificate, you can apply to the RAF for his service records. Try this link
    Not sure on the cost, last I heard there was a delay due to the number of applicants
    Thank you so very much, I do have his B.D.M certs cos when my Gran past I got copies of all certs. Again ty for all the advice, I'll be adding things to my arsenal on finding family.
    Gill