Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default John Milne 6th Royal Artillery Regiment 1804

Hi

I have an Andrew Milne born 1815/16 quoted on census as being born Elgin, Scotland (he lived in Gamrie, Banff). His father is quoted on his 2nd marriage it states John Milne Royal Artillery Regiment pensioner, mother a Margaret Rennie. As luck would have it there appears only 1 John Milne in the army quoted on genealogy websites, John Milne b. 1787 Tavers Aberdeenshire. He enlisted in 1804 and discharged in 1827 and he was in the 6th Battalion Royal Artillery Regiment Gunner and Driver.

There is no baptism for Andrew, a relevant marriage for John or any other children and John Milne who survived past 1851 was described as unmarried. My early 19th century knowledge of army life is sketchy but would the regiment have been in Elgin or thereabouts at the time of Andrew's birth, it looks like Andrew was born about a year after Waterloo. I read an article that it was rare for soldiers to marry but assume there were various dalliances had.

thanking you in advance for any help Debs

Super Moderator

There is a Masters and Mates Certificate for a Andrew Milne born 14 July 1814 Stonehaven, in the County of Wincardine.

It was issued in the Port of Banff on 13 January 1851.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

This is not the Andrew Milne above he was a Sawyer, never went to sea and the census all say Elgin born, think looking at one of the genealogy sites the Andrew Milne that was a Master, father was James Milne.

Thanks Debs

Famous for offering help & advice

Scotland's People have a baptism of an Isobel Milne 1810 Elgin. Father John Milne, mother Margaret Rannie (note spelling), possibly a sister to Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Scotland's People have a baptism of an Isobel Milne 1810 Elgin. Father John Milne, mother Margaret Rannie (note spelling), possibly a sister to Andrew.
    There is a death on SP in 1881 in Banff of an Isabella Milne mother's maiden name Rennie. It is also indexed as Isabella Milne Simpson, so she probably married a Mr Simpson

And a possible marriage in 1829 to a James Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    There is a death on SP in 1881 in Banff of an Isabella Milne mother's maiden name Rennie. It is also indexed as Isabella Milne Simpson, so she probably married a Mr Simpson

And a possible marriage in 1829 to a James Simpson
    Freecen have a James and Isabella Simpson and children in Gamrie in 1851 and 1861 who could be this couple.

Reputation beyond repute

would the regiment have been in Elgin or thereabouts at the time of Andrew's birth?
    This book will help:
    Volume 1 of Battery records of the Royal Artillery 1716-1877 / Compiled by M. E. S. Laws.

This may be available through inter-library loans (if or when the service is available).

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks very much - sorry for late reply not had time in week. I looked up the birth of Isabella not sure how I missed that and it is very precise in that it names the father John Milne 6th Battalion Artillery spouse Margaret "Rennie". It ties back directly with the Army records of John Milne who was born in Tavers. It is strange as on the census it states John is an unmarried ex soldier, who went back to live with his brother in Tavers after discharge. The confirmaton of Battalion on Isabella birth record and the reasonable uncommon name combination leads me to think it must be the same John Milne. I wonder if they were actually married? I will see if I can trace Margaret at all. Also be interest in the book mentioned above I will have a search. It maybe that John went overseas and Margaret moved on. Debs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Just realised I can't spell where John Milne was born was TARVES Aberdeen - tying too quickly

There are another couple of baptisms in Elgin which could be worth checking.John Millen 1822, father John Millen, mother Margaret Rennie, and James Millan 1824 father John Millan, mother Margaret Rennie.