Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Sarah Latham, Birmingham

I'm looking for information on Sarah Latham, married to Dennis Vowles (b.1808)in 12 Sep 1826
    Kings Norton, Church of the Acension, later married George Ingram,abt 1844 in Shrewsbury.
    I don't have her date of birth, her parents were father John Latham & mother: Cathrine.
    She had a brother, Thomas Latham. This is all I have. Can anyone help?
    I have all the information about Dennis (our family convict) so this information I don't need.

Thank you
    Shay
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 11-07-2021 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Name in body of post changed to Sarah after originally saying Mary in error.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Are you looking for Sarah Latham, as per the thread title, or Mary Latham, as per your first sentence?

If it should be Mary, then I can alter the thread title.

If you haven't found a birth/baptism for her, how do you know the names of her parents, and brother?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Do you have the certificate for Sarah's marriage to George Ingram in the June 1/4 1844 registration district Shrewsbury vol 18 page 303? This would give her father's name and occupation and help confirm that the baptism below is your Sarah Latham.
    Sarah Latham
    Baptised 26 April 1812 at Tipton, Stafford,
    Father John Latham
    Mother Catharine
    FHL Film number 1526134

Sarah was born prior to 1837 when birth, death and marriage registration was introduced but even then it wasn't until 1874 that it was the responsibility, legally, of the parents to do it. Prior to 1837 parish registers are what we have to rely on and if a friendly parish priest or a pedant didn't write the birth date in the register along with the baptism date then it can be hard to find a particular day they were born. Probate records could be one or wills of parents or husband.
    Looking at the 1841 census where Sarah nee Latham previously Vowles is living with George and two children her age is given as 25. Now in 1841 enumerators were meant to take the age of anyone over 15 and over DOWN to the nearest 5 so that would make Sarah anywhere from 25 to 29 years of age so born 1812 to 1816. A little leeway with ages was the norm back then so the above baptism is a likely contender but the second marriage certificate would help confirm it.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

This doesn't quite add up.
    There's a Sarah and George Ingram at Frankwell, Shrewsbury + daughters Emma (4) and Hariot (11 mths) on the '51 Census (HO107 1992 622 1). A check of Emma's birth registration shows mother's maiden name Latham.
    However, Sarah, born Staffordshire (County only) is age 30 (born c. 1821). The Census image is quite clear.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Knowledgeable and helpful

In 1861 Sarah Ingram, 49, widow, born Tipton, living St Chad, Frankwell, Shrewsbury, with daughter Louisa Jane Ingram, 15, born Tipton. RG09 1874/40 page 29.
    (Have yet to identify Louisa Jane).
    GRO Index. Death. George Ingram Sep Q 1860 Shrewsbury, age 47.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Are you looking for Sarah Latham, as per the thread title, or Mary Latham, as per your first sentence?

If you haven't found a birth/baptism for her, how do you know the names of her parents, and brother?

Pam
    Sorry it should say Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    This doesn't quite add up.
    There's a Sarah and George Ingram at Frankwell, Shrewsbury + daughters Emma (4) and Hariot (11 mths) on the '51 Census (HO107 1992 622 1). A check of Emma's birth registration shows mother's maiden name Latham.
    However, Sarah, born Staffordshire (County only) is age 30 (born c. 1821). The Census image is quite clear.
    In the 1841 census her birth date is 1816, in '51 it's 1821, in '61 - 1812 and in '71 it's 1813.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post

If you haven't found a birth/baptism for her, how do you know the names of her parents and brother?

Pam
    Her parents, I found on her marriage certificate with Ingram. Her brother Thomas was looking after Sarah's son Dennis in a previous census.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

As you already have her parents, baptism, brother, two marriages, presumably the names of her children from those marriages, and the census entries for 1841-1871 inclusive, exactly what other information are you hoping anyone can find for you about Sarah, apart from possibly her death? Or do you already have that information as well?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by shaygriff View Post
    In the 1841 census her birth date is 1816, in '51 it's 1821, in '61 - 1812 and in '71 it's 1813.
    Which YoB "fits" an 1826 marriage?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast