Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Which YoB "fits" an 1826 marriage?
    That's a very good question, helachau.
    I'd forgotten to do the maths. The groom in the first marriage, Dennis Vowels, would only have been about 18 when he married. But would he have married someone so very young?
    A google search brings up the general opinion that, until 1929, the legal age of marriage for a male was 14, and for a female 12.

Plus you have to add into the conundrum that not everyone was baptised as an infant or child. One of my 4 or 5-times great-grandfathers was baptised a few days before his marriage. (This may have had something to do with the fact that the church and the register which may have detailed his baptism had earlier gone up in flames.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    In 1861 Sarah Ingram, 49, widow, born Tipton, living St Chad, Frankwell, Shrewsbury, with daughter Louisa Jane Ingram, 15, born Tipton. RG09 1874/40 page 29.
    (Have yet to identify Louisa Jane).
    GRO Index. Death. George Ingram Sep Q 1860 Shrewsbury, age 47.
    The daughter's name is Emma Jane. (See the way the E of Edward is formed in the name at the top of the page. There's also another Emma - Deakin - correctly transcribed further up the page. I'll advise FMP of the error.)
    Emma's birth registered as plain Emma, June quarter 1846, Shrewsbury registration district.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    That's a very good question, helachau.
    I'd forgotten to do the maths. The groom in the first marriage, Dennis Vowels, would only have been about 18 when he married. But would he have married someone so very young?
    A google search brings up the general opinion that, until 1929, the legal age of marriage for a male was 14, and for a female 12.

Plus you have to add into the conundrum that not everyone was baptised as an infant or child. One of my 4 or 5-times great-grandfathers was baptised a few days before his marriage. (This may have had something to do with the fact that the church and the register which may have detailed his baptism had earlier gone up in flames.)

Pam
    That's what I was referring to in my earlier post about things not adding up.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by shaygriff View Post
    In the 1841 census her birth date is 1816, in '51 it's 1821, in '61 - 1812 and in '71 it's 1813.
    Where is Sarah living in 1841, and what are the names of other people in the household? (If you have the census reference, that would be a bonus.)

And where were Thomas Latham and Sarah's son, Dennis (presumably indexed as Vowles) living when you found them in the 1841 or 1851 (you didn't say which) census?

Note early reference to Dennis - convict!! Transported 1839
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Loves to help with queries

As you already have her parents, baptism, brother, two marriages, presumably the names of her children from those marriages, and the census entries for 1841-1871 inclusive, exactly what other information are you hoping anyone can find for you about Sarah, apart from possibly her death? Or do you already have that information as well?

Pam
    I don't have her birth date or date of death. Any information of her parents, I only have her mother's Christian name.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Note early reference to Dennis - convict!! Transported 1839
    Thanks, but I have all the information about Dennis

Where is Sarah living in 1841, and what are the names of other people in the household? (If you have the census reference, that would be a bonus.)

And where were Thomas Latham and Sarah's son, Dennis (presumably indexed as Vowles) living when you found them in the 1841 or 1851 (you didn't say which) census?
    Dennis was, according to the 1851 census, living Black Lake, West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England. He was 18.

Looking at these dates, the maths seem very wrong. When Dennis married Sarah he would be 16 and Sarah at 13!! Their eldest child Joseph was born in 1827. Could it be they were "had" to marry because Sarah was pregnant? I'm going to look through my records again to see where I got Dennis' birth date from

Quote Originally Posted by shaygriff View Post
    Dennis was, according to the 1851 census, living Black Lake, West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England. He was 18.
    No wonder I couldn't find the census entry until I looked for a Thomas Latham living in West Bromwich. Dennis was 17.
    Census reference HO107/2026 folio 211 page 29
    Thomas Latham, 47, coal miner, born Tipton, Staffs
    Elizabeth, wife, West Bromwich, Staffs
    Dennis Vowles, nephew, 17, coalminer, Birmingham, Warwickshire

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast