Thread: Going way back

Starting to feel at home

Default Going way back

I was just wondering, once you have tracked back relatives to as far back as the tools of Ancestry, GRO, BDM, etc can give, in my instance one of the lines is back to mid 1700.
    What option do you have if you want to see if there is any further relative to be found?

I suggest you read this very recent thread on our forums particularly post #3 by arthurk. That post refers particularly to Essex but the technique is the same for all countries.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...ord?highlight=

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I suggest you read this very recent thread on our forums particularly post #3 by arthurk. That post refers particularly to Essex but the technique is the same for all countries.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...ord?highlight=

Christina
    In addition to these suggestions it's worth bearing in mind that to some extent there is an element of luck involved:

How common is the name you are researching? For instance my family name "Roberts" is extremely common and therefore very difficult to research before 1800. On the other hand my mother's maiden name was "Gambold" which is extremely rare, and therefore any instances found have the potential to be connected. If I do a general internet search on that name I can normally work out where the connections are. So that facet then allows me to search with confidence sites like the National Archives, which brings up things like Wills and Probate pre 1858, and because I'm Welsh sites like the National Library of Wales provide me with things like Welsh Wills pre 1858, land records, tithe records and various other things.

Do you have an aristocratic ancestor? If so look at Buerkes peerage, which has pedigrees going back to William the Conqueror.

Do you have a notable ancestor? One of mine wrote the first ever English Welsh grammar and dictionary. So there's lots written about him and his family.

Did you a religious figure in your family? There are lots of places to look up their records.