Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lost daughter

Growing old Disgracefully

Default lost daughter

I have found family in Australia that no one knew about. My Grandmother on my Mum's family side had a sister who we all knew about, she went to live in Canada after marring and having a son. I have photos of them all when they came over for visits. We have all the records etc. its now come out she had a son when not married who was sent to Australia (have contact with this family.)When she died the obituary in the newspaper says she out lived her husband and daughter Jane Well we know nothing about this person can not find anything about her this is my Brickwall.

Sandy, can we have the odd helpful hint or two such as years? And where they were living?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Just to clarify. Granny's sister had a son before her marriage.
    She then married. Did she have another son after her marriage?

My immediate thought to
    When she died the obituary in the newspaper says she out lived her husband and daughter Jane
    was - then who wrote the obituary? If it was a friend, did they get the details wrong? e.g. if there was a son born after the marriage who went with her to Canada, was he called James and the friend mis-remembered the name.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Ada Carter left village in Oxfordshire to work in London. (Census Records) she had a son who was fostered out my long lost cousin in Aus has letter's from lady who looked after him. Ada then signed the papers to have him sent to Australia as a Home Child and he had a very bad time while there untill they let him out. Ada then married a few years later, their is a son David from this marriage. We have photoes of them when they came over. Son married and had 2 sons.
    Marriage. Ada Carter - Edgar Cyprian Stephen Francis Lewis
    Registration Date Oct 1921
    Registration district Marylebone Inferred County Middlesex

Ada Carter
    APRIL 1888 • Little Wittenham, Berkshire, England
    DEATH 9 JUNE 1968 • Saskatchewan, Canada.

Daughter Jane born 1922 ( mentioned in newspaper)

Son. David Thomas Lewis 1922–2006
    BIRTH 10 MAR 1922 • Marylebone, London, Middlesex, England.

Ada and Son David went out to Canada in 1928 after Edgar who had gone over before them

Can not find birth or Death for Jane. The only thing I can think of is that she had Twines and the girl died.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Could Ada and Edgar have adopted Jane after they arrived in Canada? (I'm assuming you've seen any passenger/immigration lists detailing Ada and David's journey)

If you can hang on till 2023 when the 1931 Canadian census is released you might get your answer then.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

[IMG][/IMG]

The obit says that her daughter Jane predeceased her in 1922. So she could have been a child of the marriage or of another relationship Ada had but she died in 1922 not born in 1922.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

in the opening post when you say "she outlived her husband" are you talking about Ada ? Ada died in 1968, Edgar died in 1976.

(by the way are you aware that the Find-A-Grave website has a couple of photos of Edgar & Ada together)

What surname was Ada's first born son registered under and what year was he born?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    in the opening post when you say "she outlived her husband" are you talking about Ada ? Ada died in 1968, Edgar died in 1976.

(by the way are you aware that the Find-A-Grave website has a couple of photos of Edgar & Ada together)

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...s_steven-lewis

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post

yes My mistake thank you sorry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast