Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lost daughter

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

The obit says that her daughter Jane predeceased her in 1922. So she could have been a child of the marriage or of another relationship Ada had but she died in 1922 not born in 1922.

Christina
    We thought that, we have copy of this

Yes that my pohto on their the lady roony is my long lost cousin

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    What surname was Ada's first born son registered under and what year was he born?
    Christina
    I have all his details and have contact with his daughter in Australia

Their is not any one in the family knows anything about this Jane. No mention of her in any letters one of my cousin's regulary recived and replied to letters Ada and Thomas sent, she is not in any photo's that the family have.

This is what we have.
    Ada Carter married Edgar Cyprian Stephen Francis Lewis (all infomation)
    They had 1 son David Thomas Lewis
    they went to Canada
    David Thomas Lewis married Sophie
    they had 2 sons
    Barry Lewis was a Captin in the Fire Service died 2009
    David Lewis

Barry married 2 second wife and we are in contact with her

Ada had a son Arthur Ernest Carter he was sent to Australia his daughter is in contact with us.
    he was fostered with a lady who sent him letters after he left her care to go to Australia.
    When he left the home farm he was given letters that had been sent to him all through his stay there so some infomation we have is from there and Ada had to sign papers for him to be sent to Australia
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 07-07-2021 at 6:10 PM. Reason: Name of living person deleted as per our T&Cs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Ada's mother was called Jane, and I've been trying to match a death registration in 1922 for her, though not successfully.

Ada's father was called Jacob, and his death registration is March quarter 1928, aged 79. Registration district is incorrectly indexed in the GRO Index and therefore iincorrectly indexed on FreeBMD, as Wallingbro', when it should be Wallingford, the same registration district Jacob and Jane were living in in 1911.
    Think this is mother Jane's death registration - March quarter 1928 Wallingford registration district, aged 77. So it would seem that she and Jacob died within a matter of weeks of each other.

Searching FreeBMD for Jane Carters who died in 1922 brings up mainly older women, the only 'young' person being one aged 10 who dieed Easington registration district. There's a birth registration Jane Carter December quarter 1911 Easington registration district so I would assume that's the same person.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

If Ada was 80 when she died in 1968, she was born in 1888 +/- a year or so. Assuming Jane’s birth was not early enough to raise a scandal, her earliest likely birth is 1888+16=1904. The latest likely date would be before her marriage in 1921. If Ada was unmarried at the time, the child would probably have been registered as Carter, whatever she was called after Ada’s marriage. The family obviously know about her as she’s in the obit., so she possibly lived long enough to be acknowledged as part of the family.
    Have you looked for possible Jane Carters?
    BTW, if this was Scotland, or even the Borders, I’d be checking Jean as well. The 2 names can be used for each other, especially once regional accents come into play.

What surname was your cousin using when he was a Home Child?

Thank you all. I have all the infomation about the Caters etc in my tree, census, BMD going back years, untill this obituary came up every thing was fine. Her mother was Jane Carter nee Steptoe B 1850 D 1928 Wallingford. Have contact with other Family members who never heard of his femail some are doing Famliy trees also so we swap infomation, This must be the Biggest Secret ever kept.

A big Thank you for all your help.

Or an error. The other thing I can think of is that she might have taken in a needy child, perhaps from a relative, and whoever wrote the obit knew that there had been a Jane, but got the facts wrong….

They where a lovely couple and came to visit a few times Ada Edger and son David, We have photoes. When my mum was ill they came to visit (Ada was my mums Aunty and mums mum Elizabeth's sister(my Grandmother died so we never knew her) . Barry's second wife we have contact with but his first wife and children we no nothing about. I think its just a big mistake but makes me mad when I see other peoples trees with this Jane on just because its on this Obituary.

Thanks for all your help Ladies. Think I'm getting boread with this lockdown now.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

It might be interesting to read Edgar's obituary.
    The Find-a-grave site has Edgar's death date on it, so it should be easy to search online for an obit, or alternatively write to the local newspaper asking if they could provide a copy.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast