Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

That workhouse register had Annie’s father John as a mariner. I’m becoming convinced this isnt your Annie and Daniels baptism may be incorrect too!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by rosieday View Post
    Thank you Pam, I have just had a look and as I am a university student I can actually get Ancestry for free, so will cancel my trial! Might look for a local library for FMP though, as it seems most of the things I am looking for could be on there.
    I believe that the 'library' subscriptions don't include all the records held by the commercial sites so it might be a case of saving up all the records for which you want images and then having a mad splurge and buy a month's subscription to either FMP or Ancestry and downloading everything you want.

Ancestry and FMP sometimes have 'free' days when you can access almost all of their records - we try to detail such occasions in our 'Special offers on subscription sites' forum which can be found at the top of the home page.

It's a balancing act as to which site you actually subscribe to. If your relations never moved from an area you can usually be OK with one site. If they moved away then you invariably find you need the other one!
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Isn't this the Mcgovern family in 1901
    Census ref RG13 3502 32 55
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Annie's younger sister Ellen?

Civil Birth
    Ellen McGovern, 2nd qtr 1891, West Derby, vol 8b page 600 - mother's maiden name Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    That workhouse register had Annie’s father John as a mariner. I’m becoming convinced this isnt your Annie and Daniels baptism may be incorrect too!
    Good spot, and interesting theory, Pamela.

Following Annie back in the census, in 1891, Anne McGovern is living on Derby Road, in the civil parish of Bootle with father John (think aged 39) sailor born Ireland, his wife Esther (born Sweden!), and two siblings. Census reference RG12/2971 folio 107 page 5.

GRO Index has birth registration for Annie Margaret McGovern, December quarter 1886, West Derby registration district. MOther's maiden name Neilsen.
    Elder sister, Esther Marie McGovern, birth registration December quarter 1883, Toxteth Park registration district.
    Elder brother, Charles William McGovern, birth registration March quarter 1880, West Derby and Toxteth Park registration district.
    Both have mother's maiden name as Neilson.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by rosieday View Post
    My Great-Grandfather, Daniel McGovern, was born out of wedlock in 1910, to an Annie McGovern (1887), who later married another man (not Daniel's father) with the surname Kelly. Those that remember her recall her being taken advantage of by the man of the house that she worked in, as a housemaid, thus fathering Daniel, who kept his Mother's name.
    TIA
    I would just add a word of caution regarding the possible father of Daniel. Stories abound in many families (including my own) about poor servant girls becoming pregnant to the master of the house, when in reality that often wasn't the case.

Possible for Annie with links to an Ellen?
    Civil Registration -
    Mary Ann McGovern, 3rd Qtr 1887, West Derby, 8b 595 - mother's maiden name Ryan

Are you trying to muddy the waters, helachau?

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Isn't this the Mcgovern family in 1901
    Census ref RG13 3502 32 55
    I'm presuming you mean the Thomas McGovern previously talked about with regard to the 1911 census, and not John McGovern?
    Your census reference doesn't work for me, though I've found a Thomas MaGovern at RG13/3502 folio 20 page 32.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Annie's younger sister Ellen?

Civil Birth
    Ellen McGovern, 2nd qtr 1891, West Derby, vol 8b page 600 - mother's maiden name Ryan
    Now this is getting thoroughly confusing, because that doesn't fit with the 1891 census entry I found. (See post #15.)

I'm beginning to think that not only are there two Annie's there are also at least two John's.

Knowledgeable and helpful

The 1901 Census also has an Annie McGovern, born Bootle, aged 14, as a working inmate at The Liverpool Seaman Orphan Institution in Orphan Drive, Newsham Park. Liverpool.

RG13, Piece 3502, Folio 175, Page 10.

Pamela’s find may be the same person, as she entered the workhouse after the census was taken.

There is a birth record for an Annie Margaret McGovern in 1886, D Qtr, West Derby, Vol 08B, Page 440, Mother’s maiden name Neilson.
    Bootle was in West Derby registration district.

Peter

Just seen Pam had already posted birth details.

The 1911 Census has an Ellen McGovern, 5 years younger than Annie - relationships not recorded. I checked out Ellen McGovern which led to the 1901 Census and 1891 civil registration.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast