Thread: Help

Default Help

Hi everyone. I've asked a few questions on other forums but after doing my DNA test there's a relative in the uk that insists that my mothers fathers name was Thomas Healy who went by the name paddy. He had a brother Tim who in 1936 would have been 45 and paddy 35. My Nan's name. I'm so confused about how I go about proving this, but we are somehow connected.

The bast thing to do is to approach your search by a second path and see what agrees, and what doesn’t. Set the DNA stuff aside for a little while, and use more traditional methods - it’s not a rare name.
    Start with your mother’s birth certificate. That should give you her father’s name. Also, your parents’ wedding certificate which will give you the name of his father as provided by your father. Increase the search to check his brothers, grandparents and uncles on the male line. The census will be useful when you get back a bit.
    You need the paper trail. Pretend you haven’t done the test and see what you find. DNA testing is just one of a set of genealogy tools, anyway. Tell the other person that you are running checks and you’ll get back to them. After all, you don’t know how carefully the other person works.

Remember that we don’t allow publication of info on living people on the open forum, but people can help via the personal messaging system.

PS Reading the above back, I see that I have assumed that your parents and their siblings are dead. Obviously, if not, they should also be consulted.