Thread: Marriage

Default Marriage

Hi. I'm looking for the date of the marriage of my grandparents Amy Elizabeth Gray born 3/4/1911 to George Adams born 8/1/1908. Thankyou.

Hi
    Sue Malings gave the index information for your grandparents' marriage in this thread.
    You would have to buy the marriage certificate from the GRO to find out the exact date.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Jools,

If you want to know the exact date when your grandparents married you will need to buy the marriage certificate from the GRO.

The details are - Marriages Jul - Sep 1936, Gray Amy E, Adams George E Coventry 6d 2548
    Alma

Oh that's a bit of a bugger.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

GRO website - https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp

There are other websites with similar names, and who sometimes show first in a search engine. Do not use them. They will charge you way over the odds as well as asking you for details such as the date and place of an event. Which is usually the reason why you want the certificate in the first place. They have to order the certificates from the GRO anyway.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jools22 View Post
    Oh that's a bit of a bugger.
    So how easy is it for me to find out the marriage date of a couple who married in Australia in 1936? Can I do it without ordering the actual certificate? If the answer's 'no' then you can't really criticise the English system.

There is an alternative, but as it involves a visit to the Coventry Registrar's Office, you might want to opt for the slightly cheaper option of just ordering the certificate.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I'm not criticising the English system I just said bugger asxi didn't know. I have no clue how you do it in Australia

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hi Jools,

If you want to know the exact date when your grandparents married you will need to buy the marriage certificate from the GRO.

The details are - Marriages Jul - Sep 1936, Gray Amy E, Adams George E Coventry 6d 2548
    That is certainly true for registry office marriages but it should be noted for church marriages you can view & copy the marriage register.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    That is certainly true for registry office marriages but it should be noted for church marriages you can view & copy the marriage register.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Yes, that is true Guy, but Jools lives in Australia. Some kind soul living in the area may offer to look it up for her but they'd have more than one church to search, more than one date, and after all that searching it could be the couple married in a register office.
    Alma

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    So how easy is it for me to find out the marriage date of a couple who married in Australia in 1936? Can I do it without ordering the actual certificate? If the answer's 'no' then you can't really criticise the English system.

There is an alternative, but as it involves a visit to the Coventry Registrar's Office, you might want to opt for the slightly cheaper option of just ordering the certificate.

Pam
    Hi Pam

I got married in Australia and have my marriage certificate. It doesn't give any details at all except for the name of spouses, the date and signatures, including the witnesses. In fact I don't remember having to give any further details so I wonder if the "Commonwealth of Australia" hold anything else. It was in the Registry Office though, so I am unsure about Church Registers.

sue