Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Family France and Germany Star

Looking for a bit of advice.

I have my great grandfathers medals in original box and wax paper bags but no slip to say what he was awrded.

In the box I have the France and Germany Star, Defence Medal and 1939 - 45 Medal.

I have been in contact with the MOD after receiving a list of what he was awarded. The France and Germany was not on this list and I have been told he did not qualify for it.

He served as Groundcrew in the RAF. He served in UK with HOME UNITS from 19-Sep-40 to 10-Mar-43. He served in W AFRICA from 11-Mar-43 to 04-Jul-44. He then served in UK with HOME UNITS from 05-Jul-44 and was still serving at the end of the war on 8 May 1945.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this or if anyone knows why he could possibly have it?

Thanks.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi, do the medals have his name on them?

https://www.defence.gov.au/Medals/Im...rmany-Star.asp

This is an informative site about medals and confirms my thought that the UK WW11 medals were not named.
    As you say your great grandfather did not qualify for the France and Germany Star as he did not serve overseas at the relevant time.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-c...nd-eligibility
    Are you sure these are your ggrandfather's medals? If you are then maybe the France and German Star is one that belonged to someone else and he was given it. Any explanation of why he was in possession of it would be a guess.
    It is a pity WW11 medals were not named.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs