Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyH View Post
    Could the second one under the numbers W.L.A. would seem to stand for Womans Land Army
    Which would fit the first line being Land girl.
    Think the last line is Typist.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Valued member of Brit-Gen

I agree it is typist.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for all helping me to extract all that info

Starting to feel at home

Quick question that I think the answer is no on but thought I would check

If you have a birth certificate which given the mother name etc, but has no father information on it (just a line through). Is there any other way of finding out the possible father?
    Its back in 1890!

Quote Originally Posted by RustyH View Post
    Quick question that I think the answer is no on but thought I would check

If you have a birth certificate which given the mother name etc, but has no father information on it (just a line through). Is there any other way of finding out the possible father?
    Its back in 1890!
    You can sometimes make an educated guess, depending on the child's name, and if the mother and supposed father married shortly after the birth. One of my great-grannies had two children after her husband died. One was given the middle name of Thomas, and the other the middle name of Chapman. Great-granny later married Thomas Chapman. And I have at least a further three similar instances where the presumed father's surname is the middle name of the child. But I have no proof apart from one instance where great-granddad was baptised on the same day as his mother married, and was baptised with his mother's married surname.

You might find a reference in the baptism register, but most often all you get is Fred, son of Sarah Smith, single woman.

Pam

Starting to feel at home

Thank you Pam.

I'm struggling to find any father.
    Its a lady called Mary Ann Harrison (Born 1867), whom had a child called Ernest Frederick Harrison (Born 1890)

Starting to feel at home

Ive found a Marriage Certificate of someone I am trying to match up. Her name is Emily Harrison

The marriage cert that's come up seems to have "Edwin2 repeat for both Husband and Wifes name.
    The father name for her seems to match, so does his profession. The parish location also match other family members

https://www.
    ancestry.co.uk/sharing/24845440?h=3c8f54&utm_campaign=bandido-webparts&utm_source=post-share-modal&utm_medium=copy-url"]https://www.ancestry.co.uk/sharing/24845440?h=3c8f54&utm_campaign=bandido-webparts&utm_source=post-share-modal&utm_medium=copy-url

Is this just an error on the person that wrote the certificate. Is there something else I should / can do to verify its a mistake?
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 06-07-2021 at 9:55 PM. Reason: Link to commercial site deactivated as per our T&Cs.

When you marry in a church the entry is made in two registers. One is retained by the church (the parish register) and the other is sent to the local registrar's office every quarter and then the entries are transcribed and forward to the GRO.
    It would seem that the 'other register' was correctly filled out, because if you look on FreeBMD for a marriage of Edwin Evans, December quarter 1864, Gloucester registration district, you will find an Emily Harrison listed on the same -page as Edwin.

I would suggest that you scan the entry on Ancestry, and then send it as an attachment to Gloucester registration services and ask if they could please check their copy and confirm that it does says Emily for the bride's name.
    https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/b...-certificates/

(No good sending the link to Ancestry because I think you need to have a subscription to be able to view it. )

Pam

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Pam, I will do that.

Starting to feel at home

Just on this Edwin Evans double entry mentioned above.
    I've wrote off to the link you provided and awaiting a reply.

As you said, it looks like a error as the Reg shows the correct name as Emily Harrison.

Find the image in Ancestry's Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938 dataset.

Marriage at Gloucester St Mary de Lode on 3 October 1864.
    Edwin Evans of full age, bachelor, brushmaker
    Edwin Harrison, of full age, spinster.

Edwin Evans signed his name, and the vicar wrote 'the mark of Edwin Harrison'.

So I have rolled with it for now, and expanding things out, but come to another confusion.

So the marriage cert I linked to in post #37 gives Emilys farther as Edward Harrison with a profession of Carpenter. This follows what I have in my tree for Edward, so Im sure its the right Emily. Also, the area of Barton St Mary follows suit.

Where I am now lost a bit on if I have discovered a marriage certificate for an Emily Evans who is a widower. Her father is again down as Edward Harrison, with profession as a carpenter.

From Ancestry's Birmingham, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1937 dataset.
    Marriage at Birmingham St David on 5 June 1876, Emily Evans, of full age, widow, father Edward Harrison, carpenter, to Walter Hughes.

The first marriage is in Gloucester, the second in Birmingham. A lot of my family moved to Birmingham from Gloucester throughout the last quarter of 1800 and first quarter of 1900, so this doesn't necessarily throw me off the scent.

The issue is, I do not seem to be able to find a suitable death record for Edwin Evans between the dates of Emily's first and second marriage, not in line with Edwin's expected age anyway.

Also, I have come across a 1911 census record that shows Edwin still alive and living with Emily and their daughter

Census reference:RG14/14897 SN350
    Living Bedminster, Bristol
    Edward Evans, 68,
    Emily, wife, 69
    Rose, daur, 38
    Edward and Emily married 39 years, four children, one has died.

Should I simply negate the second marriage as a coincidence, or is there something strange going on
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 10-07-2021 at 5:34 PM. Reason: Active links to commercial site removed in accordance with our T&Cs, and details transcribed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast